Leopard, or Tiger on my PBG4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hellothere231, Feb 24, 2016.

1. hellothere231 macrumors regular

Recently, I've been thinking of replacing Leopard with Tiger on my 1.5ghz Powerbook. Leopard's nice and all, but it is a bit sluggish on this computer sometimes, even with an SSD and 2 gigs of RAM. Would Tiger speed it up quite a bit? The only issue I have with switching is that some of my apps won't work on the older operating system (like Leopard-WebKit). Is it worth it to switch?

2. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I really enjoy Tiger on my eMac and PowerBook G4. At least for me, Leopard offers better compatibility with a number of apps, but little else in the way of improvements. The speed, look and feel of Tiger makes it the perfect OS in my opinion. :)

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might benefit then from an archive and install.

@Dronecatcher had some slowness issues with Leopard. Reinstalling solved his problems.

5. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Reinstallation work wonders on Tiger and Leopard - I don't know why but sometimes an OS just doesn't sit right and the only cure is to start again.
    I'd steer clear of Geekbench as an indicator of performance too - the results are so wild and variable, you'll have yourself convinced you have an underperforming Mac in no time (or conversely, a turbo charged one) - I've just seen my 12" 1.5 Powerbook go from 899 in Tiger to 584 in Leopard - a ludicrous difference, which real world performance bears out as being false.

6. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, then. I'll go back up my data and reinstall Leopard. Thanks for the advice!

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Be sure to go back and reapply any of the speed modifications you made when you are done reinstalling.

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'll put in another vote for an Archive & Install. Leopard runs like a champ on my 1.5GHz 12" PowerBook, and it only has 1.25GB RAM.

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I run Leopard on any Mac that can (and a few that shouldn't) and of all of them with a single CPU, the 1.5 PowerBook is probably the fastest feeling. I would never go back to Tiger.

10. weckart macrumors 68040

Tiger for G4s, Leopard for G5s. That's how the song went back in the day. Leopard has a number of services like Time Machine ticking in the background that might give the impression that Finder et al are a bit less snappy. You can turn most of those off.

It all depends how much compatibility you need with what you intend to run. If I don't need Leopard, I stick with Tiger.

11. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I install Leopard on my PowerBooks as I have found they work just fine. However, on my iBooks I have left them on Tiger. Everyone has a preference but I find that those OS work best on those machines.

12. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

I would keep Leopard - maybe reinstall. - I fiddled around with Leopard and Tiger (mainly for the 'Classic' reason) on my 12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz with mSATA an 3 partitions (Leopard/Tiger/Data). And I also run Leopard on two 12" iBook-G4 1,2GHz (one with SSD-Upgrade, the other with DiskDrive).
    Leopard in much more convenient in many ways even if working with Tiger is somehow amazing, especially when it comes to "Classic". Concerning systems with low specs it's much faster and responsive (e.g. iBookG4 800GHz).
    With a PB 1.5GHz and 2GB of RAM Leopard should do a good job. - I you're going to reinstall the system, why not separating the disk to 3 partitions too (Leopard/Tiger/Data) to check, if Tiger would do a better job.Tiger would only take 10GB for the system partition - user data could stay on the data partition available for both Leopard and Tiger.
    Have fun.

13. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Fix your permissions, maybe even manually prebind? Use an old iDefrag and hot defragment it if those don't work.

If all else fails, do the archive and install.

14. hellothere231 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I've finished reinstalling Leopard on my Powerbook G4, and transferred all my backed up applications back from my main computer. Before installing Leopard, I actually tried Tiger, but it was just slower than Leopard, especially on the internet (also, apps were outdated). It is noticeably faster. Thanks for the help, guys! :)

15. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Most things all miracles for me:
    (- fix permissions =ok)
    - old "iDefrag"?
    - "hot defragment"?
    Please do not let me die as a stupid man.
    Cheers
    Robert

16. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

http://coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag/

Although now I read the SSD part. Silly me for not looking at the OP better.