leopard or tiger?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
dukebound85 said:
I was wondering if I should skip tiger and wait for leopard? What do you think?
I think you'll be waiting a long time for Leopard.....get Tiger ;) Which Mac do you have?

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
you should go ahead and get tiger its going to be over a year before leapord is out it would be hard (for me at least) to wait that long

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
dukebound85 said:
I was wondering if I should skip tiger and wait for leopard? What do you think?
Duff-Man says...arrrggghhh...please, at least do a *bit* of research. Apple has just only announced what 10.5 will be named, and 10.4 is barely a few months old...please...I am sorry but get a grip...this "wait for leopard" business is just so ridiculous....I mean really, Apple have not even said what any of the features in 10.5 might possibly be, lket alone any release time frame - how could you even possibly ask if it is worth waiting....geez.....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....oh yeah! (or should that be oh no!)

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
duffman, it is obvious that apple will release a new os 10.5 sometime so don't tell me to get a grip lol. I was just wondering if tiger is really worth it for I run jaguar now and its fine for my needs. I mean if its anything like the staus quo, 10.5 will come out within 1 year or 2, and assuming that each os is better than the previous, I can very well afford to wait rather than pay 130 bucks. Thanks for the help though

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
wait for it. tiger doesn't really have anything that is so useful. i organize my files anyway, so i don't really use spotlight, and google can take care of any dashboard issue in just as much time. you just don't get the shiny ui, but i don't think that is worth $129. just download konfabulator and quicksilver and see how much you use them before wasting your money.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
dukebound85 said:
duffman, it is obvious that apple will release a new os 10.5 sometime so don't tell me to get a grip lol. I was just wondering if tiger is really worth it for I run jaguar now and its fine for my needs. I mean if its anything like the staus quo, 10.5 will come out within 1 year or 2, and assuming that each os is better than the previous, I can very well afford to wait rather than pay 130 bucks. Thanks for the help though
Haven't you just answered your own question, what was the point of posting here? Or would you like us to compare Tiger to an OS that isn't out yet and we have no information about other than a name? If your question was is it worth upgrading to Tiger from Jaguar I'd say "Yes of course, unless of course Jaguar does everything you want.".

/me sets mode +dukebound85 and will not upgrade until there is a OS X Hello Kitty!

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
You're still running Jaguar I see...

I reckon you'd probably benefit from an upgrade to Panther 10.3.9 by picking up a copy on eBay or something - the increase in speed and functionality is worth whatever you pay (I visited a mate who is still using Jaguar on his old 600MHz iMac G3 and not having exposé was like trying to drive with the handbrake on)

So go to 10.3.9 somehow and then see how you feel.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...I mean really, Apple have not even said what any of the features in 10.5 might possibly be, lket alone any release time frame
Actually Apple has. It is coming end of 2006 or beginning of 2007. That's what Steve said at least.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Diatribe said:
Actually Apple has. It is coming end of 2006 or beginning of 2007. That's what Steve said at least.

Get ready for the "he promised me a 3.0GHz G5 last year" comments...

Steve's word just ain't that cool anymore. :(

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
mad jew said:

.......and here it comes :p that was an ibm fault and not directly apples fault. Seeing the os is made by apple is should be pretty accurate. Besides its meant to be the longhorn basher and tiger was the mocking :D

On topic if you are running jaguar, upgrade as i do believe having the latest os more appealing, up to date and speeder.

Quote me on this as im not 100% sure but not all the software is going to be compatible with jaguar.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
mad jew said:

This time he actually controls it though. I don't think Steve is ever going to be wrong that badly again. I think that was part of the switch, Steve probably was mad for a year when they didn't have the 3GHz.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
I'm staying with Panther, on the fact that, (1) I'm happy with it, and (2) I don't think that I would use Spotlight that much, as I am organised, neither dashboard, as most of the ones I would use require the internet, and (3) I don't really have the money.

Personally I'm waiting for Leopard, as then the step up will seem soo much better.

::20ROGERSC::

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
dukebound85 said:

do a search, soooooooo many threads on 'is it worth it' 'do i upgrade now' blah blah blah

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
The ONLY reason I upgraded is that the apps I use do not have up-to-date versions that work with panther

I don't care about spotlight/dashboard/automator/whathaveyou