leopard or tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neverownedapc, Jul 7, 2008.

1. neverownedapc macrumors member

neverownedapc

i currently run tiger on a mbp duo core 2 that i bought off of ebay and the seller didn't give me the password or bother to include any of the software. i can't add new software/programs and do everything else needed due to this jerk being like this. i really need to be able to get past this as i plan on using it for cs3 and final cut 2, so............should i just find a copy of tiger due to problems with leopard and this software, or should i just go with leopard? help would be great since i've been using panther on my g4 due to hardware/software conflictions that come with updated os and i don't really know anything more current than this os.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

In order to reset the password using a Tiger DVD, the version of Tiger on the DVD must be equal to or later than the version on your Mac. Otherwise you won't be able to boot from it. In many cases, you may need Tiger 10.4.8 or later.

You can use the Leopard DVD just to reset the password without doing an actual installation.

Or you can bring it to an Apple store and they might reset it for you.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Go with Leopard, then you'll be as up-to-date as possible on the MBP. Last I knew, Amazon had it for $109.

4. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

I agree - go with the latest and greatest. There are already a few apps that are moving towards Leopard-only releases. You might as well be prepared for what's coming in the coming years.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There are hardly any problems with Leopard that would merit forfeiting an install of it. As a previous poster mentioned newer software will be Leopard only and Tiger will not be supported. Apple is already working on the successor to Leopard (Snow Leopard).
    Believe what you want (especially if you feel the forums here dictate the entire experience of the Mac OS) but Leopard is very stable is nowhere near in the league of Vista vs. XP where XP would still be the way to go. Also it's not like you have a choice to buy Tiger on Intel discs because you don't.

6. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Both Leopard and Vista are extremely stable. Only a misinformed minority continue to promote both Tiger and XP over their successors.