Leopard OS - Can be used by 2 people?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tragedies, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

When I buy my Mac (when Leopard comes out) it will come with Leopard no doubt, but is there anyway I can use the Leopard disk to install it on my sister's Macbook?

2. gormond macrumors regular

I assume its possible but its in breach of the end user agreement.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

It's against the license agreement. Also if you aren't getting a Macbook then the disc would not work anyway.

4. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah I ain't getting a Macbook, I'm wondering if the disk I get can be used on my sister's Macbook, which is running Tiger.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

The answer from the moral and technical viewpoint is; no.

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

If you have two different systems, it is possible to share the same license (not legal however). It requires you to make a HFS+ partition on an external HD, use Disk Utility to restore your already installed version of OS X to the external partition, then booting from that partition from the other computer and restoring the external partition to the computer. Voila. It's very helpful for it-supporters and the like. Funny how Vista completely rejected this nifty feature so now you need to spend 2 hours installing everything from scratch. Imagine doing that to 200 new PCs. Ouch.

7. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Apple does nothing to stop you except tell you you are not allowed. Just go ahead and get the family pack.

8. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

You could physically do it with the retail version, but the ones that come with Macs are model specific.

Well, depends whether you think spending extra money is moral, or a stupid thing to do.