Leopard overall speed increase going from 2gb to 4gb of ram?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iansilv, Dec 4, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

First mac, trying to understand something:

i have 2gb in my mbp, and i was wondering what kind of usability/real world speed increases I might see by going to 4gb of ram? For example, coverflow- do icons load faster so i will see fewer of the transparent placeoholder icons? Or, when using expose, will the pages slide more smoothly?

Also- is there less disk access with 4gb?

Forgive me for all the dumb questions, it's just that windows dealt with memory in a strange way, by basically not taking advantage of it properly, and I know leopard is different, so I just wanted to know if the speed increases will be noticeable.

thanks

2. SavageMac macrumors member

I am new to Mac, got my mac pro and MB 3 weeks ago.

W/ the MB I had stock 1GB and played around with it for about 4 days until I realized 1GB was NOT enough for Leopard, at least for me.

I dropped 4gb in this bad boy and could not have been happier.

Snappy, fast, a true savage!! Get 4GB :D

3. mopppish macrumors 6502

Umm...
    Won't you really only see benefits from more RAM if you're getting "page outs" in activity monitor?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yup. a 10:1 ratio is what i go by usually

5. gorby macrumors 6502

ram is so cheap, just splurge

i plan to go all out to 4GB when i finally get around to it, even though I don't entirely get the benefits of the last GB on this version of the imac

6. BeefUK macrumors member

Just added 4GB into my 2.2GHz macbook. I've not noticed a increase in speed, however with the stock 1GB of ram i did notice a few slow downs, in finder especially if I had a number of apps open, although as a whole it managed quite well.

I'm comparing this upgrade to upgrading from 512MB to 2GB in my Core Solo Mac Mini. Although this is not running leopard, I did notice an increase in the speed of applications loading and machine seemed to be less slugish.

However to give you an idea of real world test on my macbook, I had photoshop x3 3mb photos, Vwmare running Vista with 1.5GB allocated to it, final cut express and 2 windows of sarafi with multiple tabs open in each, all in different desktops using spaces, with no noticable slow down in speed at all. I'm pleased with the upgrade as my macbook now does exactly what I need of it.

7. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Can you explain this ratio?

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I went from 2 to 4 on my laptop. Don't really notice much of a speedboost. I see it on my Mac Pro, and going from 1 to 2, but it depends on what you're doing. If it's anything intensive, go for it. If it's for web surfing and Word, don't bother.

9. hsadear macrumors member

hsadear

i have been under the impression that more ram = more apps being able to be open simultaneously and it is the cpu that determines the speed? so therefore more ram would not make the computer run faster

have i been wrong all these years?

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, OS X will use all of the RAM you give it. Especially with Leopard. It's just that, depending on what you do, you may not notice much of a difference.

11. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

3rd Party Ram is super cheap right now.. almost a no brainer..
    unless like solvs says, you do nothing app intensive.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ratio of page ins to page outs

as far as 10:1 that is what i have read on these forums as a good indication for the pt at which you should consider more ram

13. f1 macrumors 6502

I have a macbook, and i just do regular stuff like web, email, and word processig. I had 1GB of RAM and Leopard flew on my macbook. I upgraded to 2GB just cuz it was so affordable, but the only diference I notice is that I can run a billion applications at much more smoothly, but everything else is pretty much the same.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i wish i could upgrade mine past 2gigs (not that i need to now but because its so cheap)

15. hsadear macrumors member

hsadear

yea, thats what i was trying to say

16. Guiltygugu macrumors member

Honestly....

My computer went from 1gb to 4gb (im running a 24" 2.4ghz Imac btw) and I didnt notice anything when it came to a speed increase...

I went from the original 1gb it came with, to be honest i never played around with the 1gb i immediately installed another 2gb out of the gate without first booting into 1gb....so my first experience was with a 3gb, but then i got paranoid re: mismatched pairs so i ordered another 2gb for a total of 4gbs....

between 3 and 4, no difference....the computer is fast and never had any page out's....(up until leopard, i get about 4-5 mb's of pageouts even if there is still free ram available)

but ya,