Leopard partition in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by john2006wright, Oct 7, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi guys. I'm thinking of upgrading to leopard but want to try it out first and see if my apps run OK and my system runs smoothly (only 1gb RAM) etc. So i was wondering if it was possible to partition my internal hard drive and then install leopard on a partition. Then at start up, boot into Leopard and try it out. Leaving me the option of just deleting the partition and resuming on Tiger or deleting tiger and resuming on Leopard.
    Would this work? Would I do a clean install on the leopard partition and then migrate my data from a external back up of Tiger or would archive install work?

Any thoughts? Is this possible? Anyone tried it?

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

That's the way I have my mini set up. It came with Tiger installed and a Leopard "drop-in" disk, so I installed it alongside the older version on separate partitions.

I can't help you with the backup question, but it never hurts to have a backup.

3. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Thats good to know. Just wondering if you know what would happen if you deleted a partition would it be free to be used by the remaining partition?