Leopard Performance with last security update

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by vddrnnr, Mar 30, 2018.

1. vddrnnr macrumors member

vddrnnr

Hi all,

When setting up my "new" powerbooks/powermacs I noticed that after applying the last security
    update everything specially video got slower.
    As anyone notice this?

Best regards,
    voidRunner

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

No, I haven't. But then all my Leopard systems had that installed a long time ago.

Maybe repair permissions?

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

I've often felt - though not proven, that a base install of Tiger or Leopard seems faster than when you've run all the updates.

5. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

I haven’t noticed it so much on mac OS X but certainly have on winblows boxes.

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Windows updates take so long you're left with an altered perception of spacetime/reality that's why....

7. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

I think things are usually zippier on a clean 10.5 install before all of the updates and apps, but I came across the opposite impression on my TiBook 867. On initial install, Leopard’s graphics /UI handling was noticeably stuttering and occasionally glitching. I thought it could be Spotlight’s indexing to blame so I waited it out and no improvement. I then ran the series of updates 10.5.8 combo and all the security patches and after a reboot it was running buttery smooth as expected. There must have been improvements to the Mobility Radeon 9000 drivers in the updates.

8. eyoungren, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Doctor Who could fix that. Just have to be careful s/he doesn't cross her/his own timestream. :D

9. G4fanboy macrumors regular

There are some posts about a quicker GUI on 10.4.x than 10.4.11 that doesnt happen on tiger server on macintosh garden forum. Also some post about the same on Leopard. 10.5.x instead of the latest

10. RhianB macrumors 6502a

RhianB

The only time I can recall noticing a bad system slowdown was on my 08 macbook updating through a series of SL security/software updates. It went from zippy n quick to slowdown Sucksville in 5 minutes of updates. Then with the next round which I had to put off until later that day, it returned back to a responsive fast machine I have today but during that few 3-4 hours I was using it before I was able to complete updates, the machine just went bonkers.

11. G4fanboy macrumors regular

After reading again "tolerating osx starting tiger " I can say SkyCapt is a Tiger GOD.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

This led to some experimentation. Which led to my Quad crashing on boot. Had to put it in TDM to my PowerBook and fix things from there.

However, I will note this. I removed the AudioIPCDriver.kext and that seems to have been a great help. Normally my Quad idleas around 6-10% of CPU. Now, it's idling around 2-4%. It's very low now.

So, at least this has been a good benefit here. Going to try it on my other Macs.