Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hovitos-way

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Hi. I'm running 10.5.8 of OSX and have some strange permissions problems. These have been around for a while and whilst they aren't so bad that I can't live with them, they're really annoying and I want to install Snow Leopard but would like to fix this first.

When I go to a lot of the folders in the upper hierarchy of the OSX install (the likes of System and Library), I can't modify the contents of any of these folders even as admin. I have checked the Get Info and seen that it says that "You can only read" under Sharing and Permissions. Surely as admin I should be able to have read and write. I have attached a pic of a screenshot of the Get Info for my System folder. How am I now not a member of the "System" group (I am sure that I haven't had these issues the whole time I have had Leopard...only in the last 6 months) and what is the "Wheel" group?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• permissions.jpg
    permissions.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 102

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
In the info window click the lock and enter your admin password to unlock the permissions settings, then hit the "+" button and add your own account with read/write privileges.
Then click the cogwheel button and apply this setting for all subdirectories if you want to.

Warning: This might enable you delete/edit stuff you're not supposed to work on. Maybe repairing permissions afterwards gets everything you weren't supposed to change straight again.

hovitos-way

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, that's what I have been having to do. I also have repaired permissions several times and the issue is still unresolved. I would like to be able to have access to my folders without having to enter my password and edit privileges each time...I'm sure that I didn't have to do this before :s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.