Leopard & Photoshop 7 - Crash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iphoneGuy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. iphoneGuy macrumors member

[[NSLocation alloc] initWithCity: Chicago]
    I can't get Photoshop 7 to run. Anyone else using this version???

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. iphoneGuy thread starter macrumors member

[[NSLocation alloc] initWithCity: Chicago]
  4. Whoshnot macrumors member

5. jakeopolis macrumors member

i'm having the same problem and i'm pretty pissed... i also tried to reinstall it and no luck :(

i don't want to have to "obtain" a newer version; 7.0 does what i need and runs smoothly. does anyone have any ideas about this?

6. skipspangler macrumors newbie

Same here. Photoshop 7 doesn't appear to work with Leopard at all.

I'm guessing it has something to do with a report I read somewhere about Leopard breaking all ties with apps developed under the "classic environment".

After trying various fixes, none of which worked, I made the upgrade to CS3 and all is well again.

7. melakev macrumors newbie

Nope, PS7 and Leopard have irreconcilable differences

Had the same result with PhotoShop 7. Leopard is a deal-breaker for my old workhorse.

I'm going to be looking for an upgrade, I guess. Prob'ly on eBay.

I wonder if ol' Steve Jobs gets a kick-back from Adobe?

8. mixgrafix macrumors member

Try Pixelmator

It is $59.00 and does everything that Photoshop does. Learn more here.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

XPress 4 wont launch on my Leopard system. I'm so pissed :mad: Steve Jobs and Quark must be part of some giant conspiracy to make me buy XPress 7.

10. afterhours macrumors newbie

pretty simple answer...

Don't upgrade to leopard. Why do you think you MUST upgrade? To be cool, to have the latest? Really lame reasons. If Tiger and PS-7 do what you need, then don't upgrade.

I have a 160Gb drive in my PBG4/867. Partitioned in half. Tiger on one (with PS7), Leopard on the other side so I can have that experience. I'm really not seeing anything in Leopard that makes me think I had to have it. No speed gain (maybe a touch slower -- as expected). I'm just not blown away, but I 'have' to have it because some of my clients have it and will have questions, so I need to be fluent with it. That doesn't mean I will be using it as my main boot partition. Tiger still does all I need, just like Photoshop 7. But... and this is a big one... my copy of GraphicConverter works great in Leopard. Maybe I'll have to start using THAT a whole lot more and not have to consider CS3.

Really -- there's nothing you couldn't do a week ago that you can't live without. It's all a mind-game. Until you move to Intel chips, you just don't need any of these upgrades.

11. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Hope you don't mind if I tag along on your question, but has anyone installed Illustrator 10, InDesign 2 or Acrobat 5 on a Leopard System?

I bought the suite before it was deemed CS and also see no need to upgrade, unless of course they no longer work :(

12. afterhours macrumors newbie

fine, fine and IDK

Illustrator 10 works. Indesign 2 works. Don't have Acrobat 5 to test (I only need what the normal print to pdf option offers)

13. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Photshop CS works fine. maybe its just that your version is older?

14. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Does it export well to Flash? Can you import vector files? Can you work with vector paths even?

The answer to these is "no".

So really, it doesn't do everything that Photoshop does, but it is a nice alternative to the average computer user.

15. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Thanks, makes that new macbook very tempting.

16. Kurt W. macrumors newbie

Not supported

No luck, dude. Photoshop 7.0 is not supported in Leopard. Adobe promises to have an update out in December to remedy that.

17. the E-Man macrumors newbie

Never been totally loyal to ABODE anyway!

I took MIXGRAPHICS advice and got PIXELMATOR. so far it looks and works just like photoshop and I've had no probs.
    I've been using FREEHAND forever and never really switched to illustrator. (Never could understand why I could save a FH file as a AI file but they can't do vise-versa?)
    I've always liked photoshop but have been happy with 7.0 and never upgraded. So i guess since all my PS files i've tryed on PIXELMATOR have opened and worked I'll keep PS on my desktop and ditch it from my MB Pro to make room for WINDOWS.
    I understand the "WHy upgrade to 10.5 anyway?" BUT I Tryed to get BOOTCAMP off the apple website and was to late since they tied it in with Leopard they took the free one off of the site. & ALLTEL sold me a SMART PHONE that I was suppose to be able to plug into my computer and use as a modem BUT they apparently we're not as smart as the phone because It wouldn't work with my MAC so now with BOOTCAMP hopefully I can load windows and my alltel disc and not have to rely on finding a wi-fi free zone or stealing it from my neighbors. ( it's getting cold and I ain't got a skin for my laptop yet! )

18. Don Foresta macrumors newbie

19. georgiagirl macrumors newbie

Adobe will not be posting updates for Leopard and PS7

I got this from http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/10/adobe_apps_on_l.html

straight from the horses mouth....I think it sucks myself...these programs are not cheap and it really isn't fair for Adobe to expect us to go out and spend the money again to get CS3

What about older versions of Adobe software? The FAQ says,

While older Adobe applications may install and run on Mac OS X Leopard, they were designed, tested, and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available. You may, therefore, experience a variety of installation, stability, and reliability issues for which there is no resolution. Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X.

20. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Replace P'shop 7 with Elements 6, you won't regret it. $72 at Amazon.
    I have P'shop 9 which still works (a little slow, now) , and Elements does everything I need it to do.

21. afterhours macrumors newbie

you are under no obligation to update your system software. Running Tiger on your existing mac with Photoshop 7 is just fine. There is precious little in CS3, or in Leopard, that the vast majority of my customers will use or need in their daily work life.

For that matter, there is a whole lot of functionality left in Photoshop 6 on OS 9. -- except for where the Internet has taken browsers, Classic is still a completely functional workspace.

Most people upgrade just because... no science behind it, little thought. Ooooh, it's shiny. I have to have it. Don't laugh, we have all done that here. And it's not needed.

I run a server farm for several hundred hosted clients. I run a consultancy offering contract sysadmin support to hundreds more. Maybe 30% have moved on fully to Intel/Leopard. Another 40% have some mixed machines, and the remaining 29% are running Panther/Tiger on PPC. <1% remains running OS 9, but he's a curmudgeon.

Guess what? Curmudgeon is a well-known author and cartoonist. And OS 9/Word 98/Canvas 8 is what he loves. His G3/233 does just fine for him, along with a zip100 on a SCSI chain. Remember those?

I run a PowerBook AL 867 with both Tiger/Classic and Leopard partitions. I haven't bought CS3. Photoshop 7 in Tiger does everything I need for web work, as does GraphicConverter 6 in Leopard.

We cannot fault Adobe for pushing the 'latest' and abandoning code that was written for PowerPC and not easily converted to Intel -- 5 years ago. They got blindsided by Jobs and the Intel migration. They (Adobe) have shown that they still can't write a standard application package for the Mac in OS X. CS3 is an abortion of a product. CS4 isn't any different from what I read. But they should be spending their resources on CS4 and not 7 or CS -- code that will never be up to Leopard's standards.

I'd tell you right now -- don't move to Leopard unless you have to. Don't upgrade your Mac unless there is a compelling technical need. Shiny doesn't cut it. Your tool today will continue to crank out your creative, inventive, or boring work just fine, and no better with the newer flashier versions. Unless the speed difference between CS3/Leopard and 7/Tiger is too great to ignore and it saves you hours/week. In that case, you've just told me that the product upgrades will pay for themselves monetarily in a few months -- and save you money/time in the future. In that case, they pay for themselves, so why whine?