Leopard pre-installed on Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by montycat, Oct 26, 2007.

1. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

2. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

NOt to be negative but I would not take that as a deffinite that it is pre installed. It says ships "with" leopard. It is usually (usually) about 3 weeks before the drop in dvd stock is depleted.

Kevin :apple:

3. montycat thread starter macrumors 6502

montycat

Good point. I will look into this. If its not pre-installed I will cancel my order and wait. Thanks

4. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

If the computer ships with a Leopard disc, then doing the install is so easy that there's not much point in waiting. Just put in the Leopard disc, click on "erase and install" and wait for it to finish.

5. Impreza macrumors member

Impreza

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), you'll lose iLife 08 that's already installed in the iMac if you do a clean install.

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Yeah, this part's annoying because down the road, whenever you want to back up everything and refresh from start, you'll have to do a 2 step process. I'm wondering is there any way to get updated installer discs for your computer down the road? Maybe if you call apple or something and ask for it.. or say you never got it they'll send you new installer discs which would have Leopard on them.

Not suggesting to do this for bootlegging purposes or anything. Just to make your life easier whenever you want to refresh your comp.

I myself just bought a refurb 15" 2.2ghz MBP which I'm expecting will ship w/ a Leopard disc included.

7. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I just ordered an iMac (on the 26th) and it apparently won't ship until the 2nd of November since I added a wireless mouse.
    Will that comem with Leopard pre-installed? I forgot about iLife not being on the Leopard disc.

8. iphnct macrumors newbie

Could someone confirm this statement? That would be the strongest reason to wait for a preinstalled Leopard

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

You still get the original Tiger discs too to restore your computer. So, once Leopard is on, pop the Tiger disc in, when it loads up, scroll down and it has Additional Software you can install. iLife will be there along with other stuff that you can then put back on.

:)

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can just reinstall it from the Tiger disks as mentioned above. It is not a problem.