Leopard Pre-installed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fonz500, Oct 29, 2007.

1. fonz500 macrumors member

Hey all. I know it will probably be a while, but as soon as anyone hears of Macs shipping or being sold in the Apple store with Leopard pre-installed, will you please post here and let me know. I am waiting to buy a new iMac until I can get one with Leopard Pre-installed.

I know it's not hard to upgrade, I just want to wait.

Has anyone heard of any Macs that have it pre-installed ?????

Thanks

2. Sukka90 macrumors newbie

Well I just called to the Apple Online Store, and they said that at least any BTO-macs should be Leopard pre-installed.

3. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

I'm assuming BTO means Built to Order ???? But on Imacs, you just select which one you want right????

Sorry I'm kinda new to the ordering a computer thing.

4. GyOzA macrumors newbie

Yes, BTO means Build to Order. Also known as CTO (Configure to Order).

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I guess it would depend on the store and how fast they can move their old inventory wouldn't it?

6. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

I just had a chat with somebody on the Apple Online store and he said that all Imacs should ship with Leopard pre-installed... I wish I could get consistant answer from Apple.

7. pakstar macrumors newbie

pakstar

The Norwegian Applestore told me today that it will take up to 2-3 weeks before Apple can release an iMac pre-installed with Leopard. They told me to keep an eye on their site where it says "Software included"; look at the picture.

[​IMG]

8. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's what I thought too. Apple needs to have a meeting and get there stories straight.

9. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

This was my conversation: (I am "you") If I print this and if I do order an Imac and it's a drop -in disk would my Apple retail store take it back??

You are chatting with David S, an Apple Expert
    Hi, my name is David S. Welcome to Apple!

David S: How may I help you today?

You: I was wondering if you know when an Imac can be purchased and have Leopard pre-installed?

David S: All iMacs shipped from this point on should have Leopard pre-installed.

You: Oh. I was under the impression that there would be drop-in discs thrown in???

David S: They were initially, that's correct.

You: But now they are shipping with it pre-installed?? Sorry I just want to be sure before I order. Is there anyway to be sure??

David S: That's correct, it will be pre-installed.

You: Ok thank you.

David S: No Problem!

David S: Did you have any questions about your iMac?

David S: Or have you been waiting for awhile for this?

You: No, that was it actually. Thank you so much.

David S: I should also note..

David S: That it's pre-installed on units from the online store..

David S: Not the retail stores or third party vendors, they may still have drop in disks at those locations.

You: Right. My retail store it would probably be 3-4 weeks before they get the pre-installed ones in.

David S: Yes, that's probably correct.

David S: Okay, if you need anything else, feel free to give us a chat

You: Thanks again. I appreciate it.

David S: No Problem!

David S: I hope you have a great day!

David S: Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business.

Thank you for contacting the Apple Store. If you require further assistance, please call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

10. PwrBuk4Eva macrumors newbie

Check the store

Yup, it's pre-installed if you order it from the online store.

11. jumpinjoe macrumors member

The online apple store still shows in their description of the imac "included software OS 1.4 Tiger". There is also a note that all imacs ship with Leopard, but that sound like an update disc to me.
    :confused:
    Included Software

* Operating System
    * Applications

Mac OS X v10.4 TigerThe world’s most advanced operating system including the latest versions of these system applications

Every Mac ships with Mac OS X Leopard

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard launched on Oct. 26, 2007, delivering more than 300 new features and innovations. And now every Mac we ship includes Leopard.

12. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree... I have done the Chat thing 3 times on the Apple website and have gotten the answer that Leopard is pre-installed twice. Then I called Apple and the guy said he didn't know when it would ship pre-installed.

"Apple, please have a meeting and get your stories straight !!!!"

13. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Wow! Apple has good customer service. I've chatted with the sales guys of Metastock many times, and they are terrible! The technical guys are cool and all, but the sales team, yikes. No "thanks", no asking if I had any other problems etc.

Now I feel much more confident buying from Apple.

14. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

If I order an Imac online and add an extra GB of memory, would this give me a better chance of getting Leopard pre-installed since it would be a BTO?????

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

dude

DUDE, NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE!

And seriously, who really cares?

And yes, it's been said earlier, BTO or CTO Macs stand a better chance of having Leopard pre-installed.

16. jamie329 macrumors member

There is NO difference whatsoever between a Mac that had Leopard pre-installed and one that ships with a drop-in. In fact, you are actually getting more value if you get the drop-in, because you are getting both Leopard AND Tiger. There will definitely be cases where people have to revert to Tiger for a while if an app they need is not compatible with Leopard yet. All you have to do is pop a DVD in the drive click Next like 4 times and you're done. I don't see what the issue is here?

17. EngBrian macrumors regular

I know that no one will know for sure when it will come pre-installed but I know that I care. I personally don't want the drop in because if i ever have to restore it I would rather have one disk to deal with. With the drop in you have to run the restore disk (tiger) then run the leopard drop in. Too much of a pain.

18. jamie329 macrumors member

If you wanted to restore, you would use the Leopard disc first, and the use the Tiger disc to install the applications. However if you run frequent backups and have a bootable image (like everyone should), then all you would do is drop the image on the drive and you're good to go. You would have to be pretty lazy for this to come into account when making the decision when to buy. And like I said before, you get MORE value if you have Tiger as well.

19. EngBrian macrumors regular

Source-wise i can't pick out the thread(s) i got that one from but it is also what I was told at my campus store by the apple tech. I am under the impression that the drop-in needs a 10.4 or higher install before it will run the leopard install.

It also has nothing to do with lazyness. I will not be the primary user and if I have to run something through over the phone (with a non-tech user) i would prefer to say put in the one disk and walk away. And since this purchase is not time sensitive i am willing to wait.

20. sportsnut macrumors regular

;) QFT

21. jamie329 macrumors member

That is not the case. The drop-in would either be a retail disc, or the disc that would normally be shipped with a Mac where Leopard was pre-installed. Shipping OS discs that require a previous version to first be installed is a Microsoft thing.

22. EngBrian macrumors regular

The thread I am going from is link on the front page of macrumors in a news story from saturday titled "Leopard Now Shipping with New Macs, Drop Ins at Retail". I would be happy to be corrected but I am still interpreting from this that a drop-in doesn't have ilife 08 etc on it so it still isn't a restore disk on its own and therefore it is still a two disk process to restore. Again if this was my primary computer i wouldn't care but for helping others a one step process can be a helper.

23. fonz500 thread starter macrumors member

Engbrian - This is my understanding as well. That is a big reason why I wanted Leopard to be pre-installed, because then if I need to restore my cpu to it's original for for any reason I would have to go through a 2-3 step process. Also, don't I have to install Leopard, then put the Tiger disk back in, then try to install Ilife08??????

I'm just trying to get info.

24. jamie329 macrumors member

It depends on what disc is install. You don't know if it's the retail version, or the version that ships with new Macs. If it's retail, then you would first install Leopard, and then use the Tiger disc ONLY for iLife apps. If it's the version that ships with new Macs, then it would all be on one disc. However, no one in that thread you pointed to knew which one it would be. The point is that if you can instruct someone on how to install Leopard, then installing the iLife apps off another disc is even EASIER. If you don't care how long it takes to get it, then by all means wait, but don't try and justify your waiting by saying there's advantages to having Leopard pre-installed, when in fact, it's the exact opposite.

25. jamie329 macrumors member

To install the iLife apps from the Tiger disc once Leopard has been installed will take you a grand total of 5 minutes, AT MOST. And how often do you plan on reinstalling your OS? If you re-installed your OS lets say 10 times a year, which is about 9 times too many, you would have to spend an extra 50 minutes in total installing the iLife apps. Or, you could waste a couple WEEKS (20169 minutes) waiting for Leopard to be pre-installed. Puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

Oh, and all that is assuming you don't have a bootable image backed up (which you should). If you do your due diligence and keep an up to date bootable image, all you have to do is boot into disk utility and drop the image on your drive. For a grand total of 10 minutes.