Leopard Problem: Crucial folders missing after Time Machine recover ...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

OK, I got my replacement MBP in the mail and I did a migration from a Time Machine back-up.

Now when I try to access the 'movies' folder, it's gone.

The text in the dialog says: 'The volume for Movies is missing' (in Dutch)
    And as you can see in the second screenshot, the Movies folder is missing from the Home screen (and so is the Public folder)

Reason why:
    When I make back-ups, I exclude the Movies (because I have my movies stored on an external drive) and Public (because there are nothing but duplicates in there) folders from the back-up.

Now I recovered my Mac from these back-ups and now it thinks there are no such folders, while they should just be empty.

Worth noting: I also excluse 'Desktop' and 'Downloads' from my back-ups, but I can access both just fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

just go to your home folder in finder and select new folder from the file menu. Type in Movies as the name. Do the same for Public.
    Log off and back on and they should appear with the correct icons.

You may have to manually change the permissions of your public folder to give everyone read only access to it (do it from the Get Info screen Cmd-I)

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Thanks a lot! That worked.

I had to name the folders in English though and then rename them in Dutch ... otherwise, they wouldn't show up with the correct icons.