Leopard Question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lucascsula, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Lucascsula macrumors regular

My birthday is coming up in March and I told my wife I wanted Leopard.

The thing is, I'm nervous about the switch. For those who have it, are there any MAJOR bugs?

I know there's been a ton of these topics, but what the hey.

Thanks for the help.

2. Queso macrumors G4

If I were you I wouldn't worry. The 10.5.2 update is supposedly imminent, which fixes pretty much all the serious reported bugs whilst also adding interface improvements.

So by the time you have your copy, it'll be a pretty stable OS for virtually everyone. Still not perfect, but then you never really get perfection in software.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I just got a new iMac at work and it came with Leopard. I have not yet noticed any major problems with it, and it is super smooth and fast. One thing that I have noticed is that the zoom feature is much improved with Leopard (no more jaggies when you zoom in!). I haven't tried Time Machine so I can't comment on that yet. I did have a bit of a problem with networking assigning a bad hostname (don't know where it came from - DNS maybe?), but I worked that out with the help of a friend at work that used to work for Apple. I just got a family pack for home but have not yet installed it (got it cheap from eBay - $110 shipped).

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

People have had issues which you can read about in other threads.

For my part, I have 2 Macs and my wife and kid's 3 Macs, so 5 total. 4 of them are on Leopard and we haven't any issues. 3 of them are using WiFi and we haven't had any wifi issues either.

I rearranged/upgraded the drives in my MP this morning and just for the heck of it did an install straight from my latest time machine backup and that was flawless and quick and pretty impressive as a recovery exercise. (with no preparation at all. I just popped the new drives in for the array and said "hey, why don't I try just installing from time machine from the last backup", which was about 30-40 minutes earlier)

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No major show stopping bugs have shown themselves on my machines and I haven't read about many. By the time March roles round 10.5.2(3) will be out which is seeming more and more like a big update to Leopard.

Some applications/plugins are not Leopard compatible yet so may be worthwhile researching the applications you will be using before doing the upgrade

What machine will you be putting it on?

6. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

There was only one critical bug as far as i saw it with leopard, which was the potential for file loss when moving files too and from network shares.

That was fixed with SP 10.5.1, all the rest aren't dangerous, maybe a little irritating, as the other posted here has said, they should be mostly taken care of with 10.5.2.

Cheers
    M.

7. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

No need to be nervous, Leopard is a pretty good operating system at this point and 10.5.2 is just around the corner which will make it that much better. I'm running Leopard on my new MacBook Pro and I haven't had a single issue with it, absolutely love it.

8. Lucascsula thread starter macrumors regular

My sig. My wife's is 1 GB of Ram.