leopard questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Jul 29, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I'm a PC user considering the switch to mac...I was wondering if in leopard, or maybe in tiger, if there any way that I can maximize a program to fill up the whole screen...this really bothers me that macs don't do this. also, is there any way that pressing X on an application will actually end the program, rather than minimizing it?

2. maxmax macrumors member

drag the window yourself to fill up your entire screen? you'll find that's such a waste of screen real estate though.

programs like photo booth, dictionary, etc. that only open one window will close with the X. pushing apple +q isn't so tough though. you'll get used to it.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

OP, try getting fast at hitting apple q, you will find over time is gets easier to do. As for maximizing, as the pervious poster said, just drag the lower right corner of the window to your pleasing.

4. spjonesi macrumors member

There was a program called 'stoplight' that worked like this. I had it on mine, but it was buggy (hey, it is a free program too!). I'd skip that one though.

I don't know if there has been further development here. But I took it off of mine, mostly because I never got used to my mac doing what I thought it shouldn't do...lol. I am now totally used to it (I bought an iBook G4 2 years ago, mac #1 for me) and I don't know how long it took me to feel as if it is normal. But at this point, I know that OS X should do one thing, and XP/Vista should do another. Totally normal.

spjoneSi

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

I know a lot of switchers who worried about the maximize issue...it probably will stop bothering you once you really start using the OS. While it's the norm to do this in Windows, you just won't feel the need to do it in Mac OS X...you'll probably find it quite annoying in a lot of cases too.

In fact, I see myself doing this a lot. While I normally maximize firefox and msie windows in Windows, my Safari window on my Mac only takes up maybe 30% screen real estate. Word takes half or document size in Mac OS X, while it takes up the whole thing on Windows. You get the idea. It just feels more "natural" to not do fullscreen in OS X, while it feels a lot more "natural" to do so on Windows.

Just my 2 cents.

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You can kind of maximize with the green button, or just dragging and resizing. There are some 3rd party hacks, I know Safari has a few that can take it full screen, and iPhoto kinda does it natively. I used to not like it, but actually started to prefer it that way. With closing, you can just right click, or just click and hold, on the icon on the dock and choose close.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs