Leopard REALLY starting to piss me off

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daneoni, Feb 10, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So i have an SR MacBook with Leopard pre-installed and slowly but surely it is starting to piss me off.

Sometimes when i wake the laptop up i only get a blank screen and no login screen comes up for me to enter my password. I sleep it again and wake it up again but no dice i have to force shut down and boot up again.

Also when i connect to other macs on the network Finder often crashes or just hangs.

Logging out is never easy with at least one Application failing to quit and force quit has no effect and then again i have to force restart

Photobooth is heavily jerky sometimes taking almost 5 secs to switch between effects tabs

Just now i've been trying to quit Adium and it wont die. Force quit does nothing and im gonna have to log out or worse restart.

On my iMac running Tiger i haven't had to restart in almost 25 days and counting whereas on this machine i have to do it once every other day. Apple better hurry up and release 10.5.2 to fix the beta OS

PS- Before anyone suggests i've repaired permissions, cleared caches, ran cron scripts PMU reset the whole shebang but these seem to do nothing

EDIT: Forgot to add the joke that is permissions repair. Not only is it slow but drives the CPU usage to around 66% EVERY SINGLE TIME, forcing the fans to rev up and the best part......It never fully repairs the permissions and you will find majority of the permissions issues again the next time you verify.

Unbelievable.

2. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Same here, sick to the back teeth of it. safari is my worse app- beach balling, locking up or just plain quits. Quicktime is somewhat freaky as well. The firewall and repair utility are jokes. At the moment I feel as if I'm a beta tester.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

The only thing left to suggest is a clean install - assuming you have upgraded from Tiger. Otherwise a clean install might fix a pre-installation that is clearly failing. If not, hope and pray that 10.5.2 fixes these things.

4. numlock macrumors 68000

i too have had to deal with apps not wanting to quit or force quit. Putting the computer for sleep for a few secs and waking it up seems to work but obviously there is something wrong.

havent experienced much of your other problems though

5. scpt macrumors newbie

surprisingly, I have had a slighlty different experience. I have had that 'blank screen' when trying to get it out of sleep problem with Tiger and never had that problem with Leapord so far. The only application which fails to quit for me is VMware , if I haven't shut down the OS in that.

The one problem I had with Leapord ( I don't see it nowadays) is that my laptop just refuses to go to sleep even if I close the screen and wait for almost 5 mins. Sometimes it comes out of sleep while its in my backpack. These used to happen in the initial days of my 'leapord life'.

6. Malcster macrumors 6502

I use all the apps you mention and have none of these problems, go for a clean install.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

he bought a mac with leopard pre-installed, please read his original post

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

He still can do a clean install or an Archive and Install

9. Malcster macrumors 6502

i saw that, but something is obviously nerfed, so i suggest he re-installs it.

Using leopard myself and having none of these problems suggests to me maybe leopard isn't too blame, but it might take 42 years to find out what is actually broken, a re-install is a quick way to probably resolve it.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, if it has to be done, then let it be.

But re-installation of operating system should be always the last resort, Im sorry leopard become such a system that some users have to re-install it with such a high frequency.

11. Malcster macrumors 6502

I agree with you completely.

Seeing the list of issues being encountered by this user though however i relunctantly suggest a re-install would be the quickest way to resolve the multitude of problems being encountered here.