Leopard Reinstall (macbook)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleNinja, Dec 1, 2007.

1. AppleNinja macrumors member

AppleNinja

ok so i have read that printer drivers and the multilanguage's that apple installs take up a ton of space (1.9gb for languages and 3.4gb for printer drivers) now if i take my macbook right out of the box and do a fresh install will it be ok? because i can take off these settings off during install i have seen video's on it. would this be practical to save an extra 6gb of space? also i have a hp psc 2170 all-in-one printer.. will the drivers affect my ability to print to it?

thanks guys you have been a great help leading to my purchase of a macbook (its in the mail :)) just 1 more question till it comes :D:D:D

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you want to save the space, you can do that (erase and install) and then if you don't have the driver for your particular printer, I'm sure you could get it at HP's site.

Good luck with your new MB and Happy Christmas. :)

3. AppleNinja thread starter macrumors member

AppleNinja

so it won't hurt anything? also do you recommend going through the whole start up and then sticking the disc in when it gets to the desktop or booting from the disc (command+c right?)

thanks!

-appleninja

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

just whack the disk in and boot from that, there is no point going through the setup it is just a waste of time if you are going to reinstall.

Also if you need a printer driver connect the printer and run software update, it should automatically download the driver for you.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you are serious about doing a reinstall, then just drop the disk in and hold C, don't even bother going to the desktop first. Leave the HP drivers, they are not too large, and honestly, trying to find them on HP's site is quite a chore. I have heard however that in Leopard, if you hook a printer up to your MacBook, and you don't have the driver (but it was one of hte ones that could have been installed) then Software Update will launch and get the driver for you.

I have never tested this particular feature, so I have no idea if it works or not.

6. skuzzy macrumors member

It won't hurt anything. Apparently the best thing to do is a fresh reinstall right from when you take it out the box (booting from the disc) and choosing what you need. Saves a ton of space.

Here is the driver page on the HP website for your printer. There is something there called " HP All-in-One - Setup Instructions for New Mac OS X v10.5". Just check that out and do what it says.

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You won't hurt a thing.....boot from the disc and start your new MB just the way you want it. Of course, you could always get rid of those files later too in order to save space on your HD. I really don't worry about my internal HD because I have a large external partitioned for Time Machine and other overflow stuff. I'm using about 60GB of my internal which leaves me with plenty of excess.

Remember to backup often and regularly. ;)

8. AppleNinja thread starter macrumors member

AppleNinja

thanks alot guys ... i love these fourms... anyway if i have anymore questions ill ask THANKS!

9. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

Reflash

Going to do a re-install tonight. Sooo, I put the disk in the drive and hold C..right? I assume from computer being off?

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just select restart from the Apple drop down menu and hold down the [c] key on your keyboard when the machine begins to power up.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

When my laptop came, the first thing I did (after turning it on) was to erase and install Tiger. Saved many gigs in languages, printers, and iLife--all gone from my drive.

12. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

13. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

that's just what i did with my macbook... :D

14. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

When going through Mac OS X setup, ensure to click on the "Customize" button, it will be located on the final screen displayed before the actual installation commences. In the Custom Installation screen you will be able to uncheck the additional languages and printer drivers that you do not need. I did this with my MacBook Pro, and I saved about 10 GB overall.

Note that if you are using a Leopard drop-in disc, you'll need to put in the second system software disc to reinstall iLife if you want it.

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

I am wary about MonoLingual personally. It doesn't have a built in blacklist like other apps that do much the same thing, and as such can alter files that have no business being altered (forced my friend to re-install Tiger after it altered system files). I always use Xslimmer, and have never installed OS X with more than just English anyway.

16. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

Success

Well, I re-installed Leopard with no issues but I didn't get the option to delete any language or programs during the install. I just deleted a few apps that I will never use, after the install.. I chat and MS office demo are not programs I would use.

So far it's running fine..

17. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

joeyd929: Did you select "Customize" during the setup process? It should have presented you with options for Additional Languages, Additional Fonts, Printer Drivers, X11 etc.