Leopard resolution-independant interface for touchscreen Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GFLPraxis, Apr 18, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I was wandering through Best Buy today to pick up a USB keyboard for my MacBook, when I saw this new HP machine. It's sort of like an iMac; an all in one machine with a big fat base containing all the hardware and a big screen mounted on top. Not the prettiest thing, but the screen was nice.

Then I realized the screen was a touch screen.

[​IMG]

I tried using it with my hands, and it was actually pretty cool. But when I played a game of minesweeper, I realized the problem. My fingers were fatter than some of the buttons I was supposed to press, and it was hard to determine where under my finger the mouse would click. I managed to beat Minesweeper anyway :D (only ten minutes), but had a hard time closing the window, lol.

Then I realized that Leopard's resolution-independent interface is PERFECT for such a product, allowing for buttons and menus to be larger to accomodate fingers without requiring a lower-resolution screen.

Tablet or Multitouch iMac anyone? :D

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

This makes a lot of sense, but I can't see it happening in the next revision of iMacs, for example. Maybe in 2008, but lets say iMacs are realsed at WWDC with touch screens, they would be useless because Leopard is delayed until October. Only time will tell...

As for the res-independence, if Leopard does in fact include touch-screenage, this would be very handy in such a situation.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I can't see it happening until at the very least after Leopard launches, so don't expect the next iMac revision to have a multitouch screen, unless it comes with a stylus.

But it would be really dang cool.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

That is what I said :) I was just giving an example as to why the iMacs wouldn't be released by WWDC.

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Touchscreens are very gimmicky. They only really work if you have a large monitor or small fingers, as you've discovered. A higher res won't help because it's the physical size that matters, not the res.

Add the fact you have to be above the screen to avoid arm ache, I don't see any future in this for the Mac.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Resolution independence means buttons etc can be bigger, but not blurry :)