Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
From what i see, apples logo is pixeleted and not crisp, on the other hand the menus look fine... This whole thing looks like a patch, not a clear final solution right?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
From what i see, apples logo is pixeleted and not crisp, on the other hand the menus look fine... This whole thing looks like a patch, not a clear final solution right?

The logo you looked at is from 10.4 not 10.5

In 10.4 almost all icons are bitmaps.In 10.5 they are either tiff or pdf making for rounder corners etc..Better resolution.

All apps should adhere to this standard by 2008.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
All apps should adhere to this standard by 2008.
So CS3 doesnt adhere to this standard, right? Meaning that in October when Leopard will be released no apps will be ready for resolution independence, am i correct?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
So CS3 doesnt adhere to this standard, right? Meaning that in October when Leopard will be released no apps will be ready for resolution independence, am i correct?

I didn't say there wasn't any apps that weren't resolution independent already.I said Apple wants developers to be fully compliant by 2008.Most of the newer stuff coming out that was built with Leopard in mind are more than likely already ready.:)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I didn't say there wasn't any apps that weren't resolution independent already.I said Apple wants developers to be fully compliant by 2008.Most of the newer stuff coming out that was built with Leopard in mind are more than likely already ready.:)
ok i get your point, but where can we find out which apps are ready already? cause to be frank, im about to make a decision wether to get an 17" MBPro with optional display or not and this squinting i might have to make on my HD display is really something i will take into consideration!!!

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Imagine this: Screen-zooming without pixelated blurriness.

It's super-awesome and rumored to be in Leopard. ;)

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I think wayfarer was being sarcastic.

Sorry for the confusion, that was unintended. I wasn't being sarcastic.

I'm pretty certain resolution independence will be in Leopard with a "scalable UI". I recall seeing screenshots of earlier builds of Leopard that pretty much confirmed this.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So would it be safe to buy the 17"MBPro with the optional res, having in mind that in Leopard i can scale the UI?

afornander

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
its like having a 17 inch monitor, with the screen real-estate of a 19 inch monitor (or any size in this case).

personally, this is one of the main features i have been waiting for since i heard of leopard.:D :apple:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Regarding resolution independence, where does Apple say that such a it will implemented in Leopard? Is there any evidence of this or is it just rumors, i need evidence! :D

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
wasn't it mentioned at WWDC 2006?
WWDC2006? That was last year, i cant remember! But if a feature like does exist, shouldnt it be announced properly in this years WWDC? After all the basic presentation of Leopards features was this year!

keyser soze 666

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/index.html

Resolution Independence
The old assumption that displays are 72dpi has been rendered obsolete by advances in display technology. Macs now ship with displays that sport native resolutions of 100dpi or better. Furthermore, the number of pixels per inch will continue to increase dramatically over the next few years. This will make displays crisper and smoother, but it also means that interfaces that are pixel-based will shrink to the point of being unusable. The solution is to remove the 72dpi assumption that has been the norm. In Leopard, the system, including the Carbon and Cocoa frameworks, will be able to draw user interface elements using a scale factor. This will let the user interface maintain the same physical size while gaining resolution and crispness from high dpi displays.

The introduction of resolution independence may mean that there is work that you’ll need to do in order to make your application look as good as possible. For modern Cocoa and Carbon applications, most of the work will center around raster-based resources. For older applications that use QuickDraw, more work will be required to replace QuickDraw-based calls with Quartz ones.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
...where does Apple say that such a it will implemented in Leopard?
wasn't it mentioned at WWDC 2006?
WWDC2006? That was last year, i cant remember! But if a feature like does exist, shouldnt it be announced properly in this years WWDC? After all the basic presentation of Leopards features was this year!

it was at wwdc06, it was at wwdc07. there was at least one session on resolution independence at wwdc07 that i remember.

what's the big deal anyway?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
it was at wwdc06, it was at wwdc07. there was at least one session on resolution independence at wwdc07 that i remember.

what's the big deal anyway?
Whats the big deal? the big deal is that i need to know if i will be squinting or not to be able to see the menus on OSX if i get the MBPro 17" optional display. And if Leopard can fix this then i will order the 17" MBPro with the HighDef display without any fear!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.