Leopard: Retail vs Upgrade... I need some advice here

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Ok so I go received my RETAIL copy of Leopard last week in the Mail paid in full for One User on my Mac Pro. Now I also have a new iMac that is still awaiting my Upgraded copy in the mail, it shipped last week on the 25th but still hasn't arrived. There are some issues with apple not even being able to track, but they claim it will be here by the end of this week on early next week. Now seeing as I have a copy coming in the mail, is it breaking the EULA Agreement if I go and install my current RETAIL version on my iMac? Can it even tell that Multiple computers have the same copy? I know there is no serial or anything like that, but what about when I register? Should I just wait it out? What would you do?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
Ok so I go received my RETAIL copy of Leopard last week in the Mail paid in full for One User on my Mac Pro. Now I also have a new iMac that is still awaiting my Upgraded copy in the mail, it shipped last week on the 25th but still hasn't arrived. There are some issues with apple not even being able to track, but they claim it will be here by the end of this week on early next week. Now seeing as I have a copy coming in the mail, is it breaking the EULA Agreement if I go and install my current RETAIL version on my iMac? Can it even tell that Multiple computers have the same copy? I know there is no serial or anything like that, but what about when I register? Should I just wait it out? What would you do?
Install it already. Chill. Enjoy :)

Comment

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Enjoy it.
So when I install should I register it? Or ignore? I can register right because I do have a copy, it's just in a plane or truck somewhere right? I don't use the computer often it's my family computer...

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It would be easier in most cases to install from the SAME retail DVD for all machines ...

Especially if you already ran the check DVD media on it, I wouldn't want to wait through that again.

The update is just the license for Leopard that you are waiting on, all depends on what you wish to do.

---

As far as the startup registration, do it. It won't hurt.

But one computer I registered on the Family Pack, and the other computer go kicked out of the registration process by the Apple Desktop Remote update.

Comment

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
It would be easier in most cases to install from the SAME retail DVD for all machines ...

Especially if you already ran the check DVD media on it, I wouldn't want to wait through that again.

The update is just the license for Leopard that you are waiting on, all depends on what you wish to do.
We I did the Check DVD when I installed it on my MacPro not on the iMac... Maybe I will just go ahead, don't know why I held out for so long. I was just to busy playing with my own computer...

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
We I did the Check DVD when I installed it on my MacPro not on the iMac... Maybe I will just go ahead, don't know why I held out for so long. I was just to busy playing with my own computer...
You don't have to check the same DVD again, and you would be insane to want to do it again just to install from an Update DVD.

It is a license, use the Update DVD as such.

And install from the DVD you already checked.

Comment

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
You don't have to check the same DVD again, and you would be insane to want to do it again just to install from an Update DVD.

It is a license, use the Update DVD as such.

And install from the DVD you already checked.
Started, thanks for the advice guys... Now my family gets to enjoy all the leopard fun

Comment

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
I think it's totally fine to do that. My girlfriend and I have MBPs. I reinstalled tiger on hers and mine a couple of times and I used the same dvd.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.