Leopard Return Policy?

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
If I wanted to go down to my Apple Store and buy Leopard tomorrow night, does anyone know the return policy for the one I ordered online? Could I take it back (sealed of course) to an Apple Store or ship it back to Apple some way?

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks! Any idea if I can return it to an Apple Store instead of shipping it back?

Comment

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks! Any idea if I can return it to an Apple Store instead of shipping it back?
You could probably return it to the apple store, if you return it as the one you bought at the apple store. Make sure all the numbers and UPCs are the same.

However, your apple.com one will likely arrive way before 6pm local time, so I don't see why you wouldn't want that one ?

Comment

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I jumped the gun a bit and ordered right when it was announced instead of waiting to see everything that was happening. Now my campus store is having a Leopard party on Friday at 6:00, selling it for $69.

Comment

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
You cannot return an Apple Online Store purchase to an Apple retail store. They're different entities entirely.

Trust me on this one.

Comment

Ariez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Its software so it doesnt follow the traditional return polciy.

Comment

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
i hope you are wrong. (not saying that you are)

i would try it and see. what will it hurt?
True, you never know. In my experience though, returns/exchanges/questions about the online store are generally referred to the online store's customer service department.

Comment

Feverish Flux

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I've bought lots of stuff online and at our local store - here's been my experiences.

1. You can return online purchases to the retail store, contrary to what you are being told, as long as the store stocks that item. Just have a receipt.

2. Software is not returnable, period (at least in our store it isn't), even if "sealed." This includes any OS discs. They will let you exchange for a new box if you tell them that the disc is bad or won't install. You'll need a receipt.

So yeah, generally, no returns on software.

Comment

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I've been searching Apple's support site and here is what I found:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...=browse&mco=735D05D9&node=help/returns_refund

Returns are subject to Apple's Sales and Refunds Policy. You have up to 14 days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return. A 10% restocking fee will be assessed for opened items. Shipping fees are not refundable.

Items that cannot be returned include:

Product that is custom configured to your specification
Opened memory
Opened software*
Electronic software downloads
Engraved iPods
Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
Apple Gift Cards
Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)
* You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.
So it appears that software is returnable as long as it isn't open. Who knows, though? These things are very rarely uniform.

Comment

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've been searching Apple's support site and here is what I found:

So it appears that software is returnable as long as it isn't open. Who knows, though? These things are very rarely uniform.
yeah, who knows. but hopefully they'll take it back at the store

Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I just called Apple to inquire about this, and they confirmed that you can not return software purchased online at a retail store.

Call 1800MYAPPLE with your order number and arrange for an RMA on the one you bought online. You'll be out the return shipping cost, but that will be more then covered by the savings.

Comment