Leopard running on Power Mac G4 QuickSilvers!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dandeco, Dec 6, 2008.

1. dandeco macrumors regular

This year, my college decided to use Macs for more video editing (most of the time we'd use Dell PCs running XP Pro and use Avid Liquid). The Canton campus has a Mac video editing lab, and they acquired a bunch of new iMacs and no longer needed their older cira-2001 PowerMac G4 QuickSilvers. So we got them for our video editing lab in the Brockton campus (this is the campus I attend because it's right in my hometown). When we arrived them, all of them had the following hardware configurations:

Single 800 MHz G4 processor
    1.5 GB of RAM (they were upgraded from 512 MB over at Canton)
    80 GB hard drive with roughly 50-60 GB of free space left
    CD-RW tray-loading drive
    NVidia graphics card with 64 MB of dedicated video memory
    2 FireWire 400 ports, 2 USB 1.1 ports
    Apple Studio Display (the version with the LCD screen, two USB ports, retro PowerMac-style casing and DVI connection)
    Apple Pro Keyboard (black keys, white trim)
    Apple Pro Mouse (black with clear casing)

All of them had Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (and OS 9 in "Classic" mode). All of them also have Safari, Internet Explorer for Mac, iTunes, QuickTime and the usual OS X Panther software, and they also have iPhoto 3, iMovie 3, Photoshop CS2 and Microsoft Office 2004. A couple of them also have Final Cut Express (the original version from 2003).

I remember at one point, they had me test all the PowerMacs to see which ones had Final Cut Express on them.

This semester, we upgraded nearly all of the PowerMacs to Mac OS X Leopard. It wasn't easy; we used an external FireWire DVD drive, and we also used that hack of sorts to let Leopard run unsupported on them. But it worked. Leopard runs pretty slick on them in most cases. At first glance, the only things that appeared different among booting up were the desktop wallpaper and the dock style, until I discovered the Dashboard, and other new features.

We also plan on doing more hardware upgrades to them once we get the money. We will add second internal hard drives to them, replace the CD-RW drives with dual-layer DVD-+RW/CD-RW drives (we will get them from Pioneer, so hopefully the Macs will recognize them as SuperDrives), and upgrade the graphics cards to ones with at least 128 to 256 MB of dedicated memory. As far as software goes, we have the latest version of Final Cut Express, but I doubt it would run well on them. But we might also get the new iLife software to install on them. We also have these same kind of Macs in our audio lab now, so GarageBand could come in handy for the audio production classes. And iPhoto 3 won't run on Leopard either, so that definitely needs an upgrade. Since iMovie '08 won't install on G4s without a special hack, we will just install iMovie HD 6 for the new iMovie. And we also plan on putting Quicktime Pro on all of them as well.

Any comments/questions?

2. frimple macrumors 6502

I've got a question..... you got any of those ACD LCD's for sale? I've got a G4 Cube that's in need of a monitor.

3. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

I'm afraid not. State laws won't allow selling our old supplies/equipment to third-parties or for students/individuals. If it weren't for that, I would've bought one of those PowerMac G4s right away!

4. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Tons of Options !!!!!!!

..... also plan on putting Quicktime Pro on all of them as well.

Any comments/questions?[/QUOTE]

You have many many many great options to upgrade your machine !

Just one question: What is the budget you have per mac available ?????

5. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

Well, our TV studio is having some money problems. We got the Macs cheap, I was told.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Since the processors are kinda weak. I'd recommend disabling Dashboard, it will free up the CPU do to other more important things. Since you are on a budget, you can buy PC ATI 9800 Pro 128mb cards(the 256mb isn't much better) and flash them for the Mac. I see they go for >/< $20 on ebay, compared to double that for the Mac ones either original or flashed. You should also upgrade them all to 2gb. I believe the 800mhz model is the 2001 version so you lack big drive support so the max the hardware can see is 128gb. Unless you buy PCI IDE hard drive controller or a SATA PCI card and install SATA drives in there which are cheaper and faster. The Pioneer DVD-RWs will be fine and the hardware will detect them no problems. You may want to flash the Roms though to remove any RipLock features and to update them to the latest verisons.