Leopard Safari Question

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
I don't think speed is what they are focusing on, however, if you want to know speed, just download latest webkit nightly and try out by yourself.
 

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
2,837
1
A religiously oppressed state
clevin said:
I don't think speed is what they are focusing on, however, if you want to know speed, just download latest webkit nightly and try out by yourself.
I just downloaded the WebKit build and it seems exactly the same as Safari, not even new features... I think I'll just take the nifty icon and put it on Safari.
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
Benjamindaines said:
I just downloaded the WebKit build and it seems exactly the same as Safari, not even new features... I think I'll just take the nifty icon and put it on Safari.
lol, actually I noticed many new stuff, such as the better compatibility of more website. Thats what I was saying, they are focusing on compatibility, stability, maybe some new features.
 

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
2,837
1
A religiously oppressed state
clevin said:
lol, actually I noticed many new stuff, such as the better compatibility of more website. Thats what I was saying, they are focusing on compatibility, stability, maybe some new features.
Ah well I did notice that the buttons in flickr actually show up the blue uglies that they're supposed to be. But it seems that when you're typing the text shows up with a latency.
 

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
2,579
1
Portland, OR
clevin said:
I don't think speed is what they are focusing on, however, if you want to know speed, just download latest webkit nightly and try out by yourself.
Heh. The Safari developers are *obsessed* with speed. They have automated test suites that they run constantly to make sure they're improving. However, for some reason everyone seems to have a different experience of it. In the test suites, Safari renders pages far faster than Firefox, and some users agree... for other people though, Firefox feels faster. It's curious.
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
28
USA
Catfish_Man said:
.... However, for some reason everyone seems to have a different experience of it. In the test suites, Safari renders pages far faster than Firefox, and some users agree... for other people though, Firefox feels faster. It's curious.
It is not curious at all. Your speed with a particular browser depends on your individual browsing habits. For me, they are all about equally fast.
 

iVersa

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
286
0
London, UK
I was just about to post that tab moving video in here!

I have another question, if you have bookmark folders in the bookmark bar, does safari now allow you to option > click a link to open it in a new tab.

Because you can do this in camino but not currently in safari, which is about the only reason I still use camino
 

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
286
0
Milton Keynes, UK
For me Safari seems much faster than Camino and Firefox both in displaying web pages and also in the actual app itself. I never understnad when people complain that it's slow... And yes that movie is real, the tab moving feature is exactly like that, it's really cool. Which is another thing, people are complaining that Leopard doesn't add much. So far what we have seen is two great features (Time Machine and Spaces) and huge improvements to just about everything else. It's awesome. [/RANT]
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
you are way too easy on apple, just some eyecandy and small convince improvements asks for another $129? its unbelievable under either windows or linux.
expose? try free virtuedesktops
safari tab movement? already in Firefox 2.0 beta2
time machine? how about manually copy.
 

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
581
0
Jakarta
clevin said:
you are way too easy on apple, just some eyecandy and small convince improvements asks for another $129? its unbelievable under either windows or linux.
expose? try free virtuedesktops
safari tab movement? already in Firefox 2.0 beta2
time machine? how about manually copy.
Um, I'm still using panther. But I'll probably upgrade to leopard, just because there are tons of features in it. It's not like they're only updating Safari :rolleyes: And you obviously have to idea what you're talking about, since you just called Spaces Expose

? said:
please try firefox 2.0 beta 2, its already in it.
I don't think it works on my computer, but I could be wrong. Does it have the animations?
 

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
1,856
0
NG9, England
Benjamindaines said:
Don't be bashing just because you can, FF 2.0 can't drag tabs out to a new window and it doesn't have the animations. Please actually watch the video before bashing.
I'd actually still call these minor improvements, but remember that minor things can be bigger than major changes if it helps some work better.

I remember seeing exposé for the first time and thinking, "that's not really much", but, while I still kind of see exposé and spaces as minor, they really fit in with my working style.

Being able to drag links to the tab bar in Firefox/Safari/Camino fits in with my style, being able to drag windows into and tabs out of the tab bar may just fit in also, even if it isn't much.
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
Benjamindaines said:
Don't be bashing just because you can, FF 2.0 can't drag tabs out to a new window and it doesn't have the animations. Please actually watch the video before bashing.
eye candy always feel better while useless, some people always buy it.
Animation? would that reduce system resource usage or make browsing faster, LOL, but yeah, you are right FX 2 can not drag a tab out of the window to open a new window.
 

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
2,670
4
Northern California
clevin said:
expose? try free virtuedesktops
safari tab movement? already in Firefox 2.0 beta2
time machine? how about manually copy.
Exposé is not the same as virtual desktops, and not available anywhere else (I haven't checked recently; there might be 3rd party software that does something similar now). Windows Vista's implementation isn't even as good. You probably meant Spaces, which isn't a new thing, sure, but it looks to be well done, possibly even better than existing solutions.

Not all of us like Firefox. Safari has a good number of smaller conveniences that make it much better to some people. I'll be looking forward to Tab dragging in Safari for Leopard.

You obviously don't understand what Time Machine does and why it's useful.

---

For now if you want a "faster" Safari, try the latest WebKit build. Last time I did this I didn't think it was any faster, but I have a slower computer anyway (Firefox is about the same speed too). These releases aren't meant to have new features I think, just to improve rendering and stuff.
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
apfhex said:
You obviously don't understand what Time Machine does and why it's useful.
For now if you want a "faster" Safari, try the latest WebKit build. Last time I did this I didn't think it was any faster, but I have a slower computer anyway (Firefox is about the same speed too). These releases aren't meant to have new features I think, just to improve rendering and stuff.
lol, I do understand what time machine does, it recover the file u deleted accidentally during a period of time, is that right? Im not saying its not useful. But as ppl discussed already, there are still plenty of problems about it. How useful practically is still hard to judge.