Leopard Screen Sharing (VNC) Quality?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sebf, Nov 6, 2007.

1. sebf macrumors member

Before Leopard I used to use Vine VNC Server for accessing my Mac over the internet. Now that Leopard has its own VNC (Screen Sharing) server built in there no need to use it.

Normally when I VNC'ed to my Mac over the internet using UltraVNC on Windows it would automatically select the best image compression/quality (eg only displaying 256 colors only etc) to make it much quicker over the internet.

But the new Leopard VNC server only seems to allow full quality screen sharing, which is painfully slow over the internet (esp as my macs running at 1600x1500!), selecting anything other than Auto in UltraVNC will instantly disconnect after entering my VNC password.

Does Leopard's VNC (Screen Sharing) support compression/image quality like Vine VNC? If so how do you enable it?

Thanks for any help!

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I've used it through iChat, and I didn't check if I could change the quality but I was viewing two 20" screens in Hong Kong, from somewhere in the States, forget where. Quality was superb. Little blurry, but they had to scale down to my screen size.

On my local net, I can change the quality from within the application, and it's pretty good.

3. sebf thread starter macrumors member

I am accessing it from the System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing, it seems you can turn it off and on and set a password, but I couldn't find any settings about the quality/compression (and just assumed it would work automatically).

For some reason it will only let me access my mac remotely at full quality only, usually you can tell the server with the VNC client what quality you want.

Perhaps I should just go back to Vine VNC server or is there away to get Leopard's VNC server to use a lower quality or compress to 256 colors?

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I can't actually damn well log in. It says the password is incorrect. This is hogwash - I know my damn password!

I'll fiddle a bit more, but at the moment, I think VineServer and Chicken of the VNC are superb.

5. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Try plugging in the password three times in a row. That seemed to work for me when Finder couldn't figure out what the password is.

I cleared my keychain, changed the password on the remote machine, and then went back to log in and it has been working just fine since then.