Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJs Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2015
I would like some advise and experience from those who might know Leopard Server. I would like to set up a home network for file storage (as if I was using Dropbox?), backups (CCC if applicable), and-- I'm not sure what you call it-- one account that I can log into no matter if I'm on my desktop, or either laptop, that I can log into at home, and if I'm working away, I can update as soon as I log in to home. The two most important clients will be Yosemite. The optional client will be Snow Leopard. All are Intel machines, except the Power Mac the server will be setup on.

Is this possible? And if so, what would you recommend as far as documentation so I can learn how to set it all up? I'm fairly familiar with the Mac client operating systems, but not with the server systems.

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
First of all will Snow Leopard run on a PPC system? a quick search showed that snow leopard will not run on a PPC based Mac so you are out of luck there.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm not sure what you call it-- one account that I can log into no matter if I'm on my desktop, or either laptop, that I can log into at home, and if I'm working away, I can update as soon as I log in to home. The two most important clients will be Yosemite.
These are known as mobile or portable home directories. They're not reliable, and don't function correctly in Yosemite clients; syncing often simply does not work. I would strongly advise against trying to make these work, particularly with such a mismatch of server and client versions.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am a huge PPC user but I think OP would be best served with an Intel Mini running Yosemite server. The sheer power requirements of a G4 or G5 would easily pay for a brand new Mac Mini in a few short months not to mention it is a lot more capable for modern needs.

Reactions: Silencio

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I am a huge PPC user but I think OP would be best served with an Intel Mini running Yosemite server. The sheer power requirements of a G4 or G5 would easily pay for a brand new Mac Mini in a few short months not to mention it is a lot more capable for modern needs.
This is probably a better solution.

OP, I'm not sure by your post if you intend to have this connected to the open Internet for remote access or not (the "working away" part confuses me). If so, you definitely do not want to use OS X on a PowerPC for that as they are full of vulnerabilities. An Intel Mini running an up to date version of OS X would be a much more secure solution. If you need to use a PowerPC Mac for this due to budget constraints that's fine, but don't run OS X.

If it's just going to be accessible from your LAN, then this isn't much of a problem, but high energy consumption will still be an issue and you may still want to consider an Intel Mini.

AJs Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2015
These are known as mobile or portable home directories. They're not reliable, and don't function correctly in Yosemite clients; syncing often simply does not work. I would strongly advise against trying to make these work, particularly with such a mismatch of server and client versions.
Ok, I will take your advise and change directions. From what I've been reading, Netboot is not what I want. Is there an application I can use on the clients and/or server to create my own cloud in my local network?

AJs Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2015
This is probably a better solution.

OP, I'm not sure by your post if you intend to have this connected to the open Internet for remote access or not (the "working away" part confuses me). If so, you definitely do not want to use OS X on a PowerPC for that as they are full of vulnerabilities. An Intel Mini running an up to date version of OS X would be a much more secure solution. If you need to use a PowerPC Mac for this due to budget constraints that's fine, but don't run OS X.

If it's just going to be accessible from your LAN, then this isn't much of a problem, but high energy consumption will still be an issue and you may still want to consider an Intel Mini.
No, the server will only be used on my local network. While away from the network, I would be working without the files readily available. But upon returning, I can sync everything so I have the same files on the desktop.

At this point, until I'm much, much more familiar with servers, I'll just stay with a LAN connection.

Yes, a new Mini would be nice, but I finally was able to obtain the Mac Pro after wanting it for a number of years. So, it's not in the budget at the moment. Eventually, everything will be upgraded to all the same architecture and operating systems.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Ok, I will take your advise and change directions. From what I've been reading, Netboot is not what I want. Is there an application I can use on the clients and/or server to create my own cloud in my local network?

NetBoot is used to boot a Mac entirely off a server. That would require the Mac boot entirely off a server image. If you want to get into your network remotely then I would look into a VPN solution.

Unless you have a copy of OS X Leopard Server, you are going to have a fun time getting your hands on an affordable copy. That being said, you can get a lot of the functionality that you need from basic OS X Leopard. The File Sharing services within OS X work both over SMB and AFP so you can use both Windows and OS X clients if needed. For VPN, I recommend going with iVPN as they still offer an older version that is compatible with PowerPC Macs.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC

I think a lot of the consumer grade NAS units on the market today would do a far better job of what you're looking for and have Dropbox-like functionality built right in. I like Synology's offerings, but there are plenty of other choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.