Leopard: Should I buy or is it free?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dollarsai, Dec 23, 2007.

1. dollarsai macrumors member

dollarsai

Hi guys,

I have a (silly) question, excuse it. I bought my Macbook 13" last year and it came with Tiger pre-installed. Am I eligible for a free upgrade to Leopard or should I purchase the Upgrade pack?

And, one more doubt... There are few softwares that, after installing them, remains only till I reboot and then vaishes. Everytime after I reboot, I have to reinstall them all to use them - Yahoo Messenger, Audicity for instance. Any solutions???

Thanks,
    dollarsai.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Leopard is not a free upgrade. You shouldn't have to reinstall apps every time you reboot, it sounds like you may be running them straight from their disk images rather than copying them into the Applications folder. We have a guide that may be of some help.

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Apple is arranged so as to extract money from us every step of the way. :D

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1) No, Leopard is not free. You will have to buy it if you want it.

2) What you are doing is you are not installing the software properly. I assume you have downloaded a DMG (disk image) file, you open that and you have the software. TO install this you typically have to drag the package of software files onto your hard drive. I am guessing you are running the software directly from the disk image that is mounted - and that of course closes when you restart your machine. Follow the installation directions that come with the software.

Alternatively, you may have renamed the USer folder of your machine - this has the effect of changing your dock back to the default setup - do not rename any folder or move any folder in the Apple-generated folders (Users, Library or System folders). Very bad things happen in the OS if you do.

6. dollarsai thread starter macrumors member

dollarsai

Thanks. Will check it out...

LOL :) I wish they provide free upgrades to sub releases - 10.x to 10.y and charge only on big upgrades 10.x to 11

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not quite, they still have a ways to go before they are at the MS level of shaking their customers down for cash.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

That is the way it works.

10.4 => 10.5 is a big upgrade that "adds 300 new features" (These are released every 1.5 years on average I think.)

10.5.1 => 10.5.1 is a small upgrade that fixes bugs and is so free. (These are released every 1.5 months on average I think.)

I think Apple likes being able to call it Mac OS X.

I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up going with the name 10.10 rather than 11 after 10.9 :D

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Leopard is a major release. OS 11 will be basically a completely different OS, not an update. Long cycle time is good. It means they have a solid product.:)

10. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

like many have already stated you should buy leopard.
    it's worth the money (time machine is solid, and I love spaces)