Leopard slow to verify permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gosh, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Gosh macrumors 6502

Just in case anyone else is unsure about this: it seems very slow when you verify permissions in Leopard. It appears that nothing is happening as the progress indicator just twirls without showing progress.

Give it time it does work eventually! And the same with repair!

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks for that. I kept trying it but it took ages and so cancelled everytime thinking it may be a bug. I'll give it a go now. :)

3. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a factor of about 10 x slower than on Tiger and the progress indicator - doesn't (show progress as such).:(

4. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Interesting, I think the all the barber poling makes it seem longer than it is. I'm getting a long barber pole and a quick progress bar. All in all I've been timing Repair Permissions to about a minute on the clock. Watching barber poling for 45 sec can seem like an eternity ;-)

But it did seem faster in Tiger. The next time I boot from my Tiger disk, I'll throw a clock on that too.

-mj

5. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Here it's well over 5 minutes without exaggeration but a similar pattern of 90% of the time being the twirling barber pole and then 10% the progress bar!

6. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

It will vary by processor speed and RAM, what are your specs? I'm testing on a 2.16 Intel C2D 3GB RAM. There many are faster and slower models.

-mj

7. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is an iMac CD with 2GB RAM.
    Everything else seems stable and rapid but this?
    I'm concerned it might be a precursor to problems down the line - it shouldn't take this long.

8. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

9. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Yes, the SUID message is spurious, you can ignore it.
    I have a feeling both of these issues and more, will be corrected with v10.5.1.

-mj

10. proboscisjoe macrumors member

proboscisjoe

Three years later and it takes 40 minutes to repair disk permissions on my Xserve G5 running 10.5.8...