Leopard slowly dies

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Don.Key, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Don.Key macrumors regular

Hi,

This is pretty global problem and hard to pinpoint, but ever since I installed leopard I need to reboot the computer at least once in 3-4 days.

With Tiger I could leave machine on for weeks, when some app like firefox hogged memory I just closed and reopened it and everything was ok.

Now I have a 2.6ghz MBP with 4gb of memory and machine literally begins to behave nasty after couple of days, apps hand, finder beachballs on random places, apps do not quit properly and must be forced to die and so on.

System ressources like physical memory, swap, disk, cpu are almost unused, still the problems grow.

Is this something others experienced with Leopard?

I hope 1.5.2 will bring some relief.

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You try backing up and doing a fresh, clean install using your Leopard discs?

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

did you do a clean installation of leopard?

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I haven't had any problems, but then again I don't leave my Macs on for days at a time. It's good to get in the habit of turning off your computers at night, unless you run a server.

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

I dont agree with this whatsoever. Most automated tasks such as maintence scripts etc run at night.

6. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

I leave my computers on all the time. Its one of the things Mac's do best - sleep mode.

7. MacVault macrumors 65816

Leopard's Safari Crashes All the Time

Ever since upgrading to Leopard (clean install) Safari crashes ~1-2 times per day! That's crazy! With Tiger I rarely saw Safari crash - and I'm a web-surfing adict!

So why does Safari crash now? Has anyone else noticed this?

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I upgraded from 10.3 panther to 10.5 leopard. Safari used to unexpectedly quit a couple of times an hour, but over the past few weeks I've been using leopard, Safari hasn't unexpectedly quit a single time!

To everyone commenting about problems on their leopard system, please always state if you did a clean install or an upgrade from 10.4 tiger, because the growing consensus is that upgrade installs are a lot less stable and have a lot more problems.

9. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I'm having a few problems. I'm getting alot of beachballs even though my CPU usage is around 20% each core. Applications are quitting more and I'm getting a really annoying thing where videos and music pause for a few seconds and then resume.

I did an upgrade first and recently did a clean install to see if it would fix it but it didn't... Anyone else getting this?

I was silly and didn't test it on 10.5.0 before i installed the update so I can't narrow it down to that... d'oh.

10. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

I agree with the OP, I also find the need to reboot from time to time - after a week or so my MacPro freezes. Ni problems with the iMac though.

I certainly get the perception that Leopard needs a couple of releases before it's at the same level as Tiger in stability.

Wasn't there a big update in the pipe a few weeks back?

11. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

We're probably going to get an update after MWSF. They can't release it before as it may give clues about new hardware... hmm.

12. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

The OPs problem is exactly why I won't Leopard-ize until at least a few more revisions work these things out.
    It took a long while for Tiger to become really stable (10.4.8 or 9) on my 24' iMac. Now, everything works as it should.
    I hope you find the problem, of course, or that the next version fixes it for ya.

13. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Yes, release 10.5.2 is due very soon - rumours are that it will coincide with MWSF, or be soon afterwards

14. fandsw macrumors regular

I had a memory leak issue on my MP with 10.5.1 that took a few days to figure out. It turns out it was the screensaver, the one included with Leopard that displays random photos from a directory. Swapped to another screensaver and the problem went away.

15. Heinekev macrumors member

For what it's worth, I have installed Leopard on my Macbook and Macbook Pro, both of which *never* get turned off and rarely get rebooted.

Haven't had this problem that I've noticed.

16. Don.Key thread starter macrumors regular

It was a fresh install. I did not migrate anything :(

17. Don.Key thread starter macrumors regular

Well, my HTPC Mini and "Bed" 2.33MBP (You know, for cybersex and such) are always on but do not have any serious issue. But they are also almost not used seriously, quicktime, itunes and firefox are really only apps which run there, so they are "up" for weeks in a row.

My "Desktop" MBP on another hand has much more to do and this seems to kill it. I am not novice to unix and tried to "clean up" the zombies via shell but even then, after I took them all out the box is dog slow. Seems to be some internal kernel issue. :(

18. unity macrumors 6502a

OP, how much drive space you have free?

I have two Macs. One is an ancient 1.25GHz Titanium PowerBook G4. It only has 768MB of RAM. I use it at work and leave it there, its often on for weeks without a re-boot and its used A LOT.

At home I have a new iMac with 4GB RAM. That too rarely gets a re-boot unless I have problems with my surround sound.

Make sure you have AT LEAST 10GB of disk space open, more would be better.