Leopard sluggish after awakening

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Oct 27, 2007.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

i just can't believe this. how could apple ship this product if it still contains such big flaws.

i just installed leopard on the latest macbook pro c2d 17'' model (2.4ghz, 4gb ram). and everything was great until i shut the lid to put it to sleep to continue to use it later on.

after i opened the lid, it took leopard forever to awake...

but not only that, now my whole system is super sluggish. everything is slow, the mouse-cursor is lagging, exposé and everything else is slow. it's just really disappointing.

2. macguysoft macrumors member

It's interesting how this Leopard "bugs" is nostalgic to that of Tiger's "bugs", etc. I suspected this much as many others are doing the same and then they complain about their applications not working fully.

Anyways, did you do an upgrade or clean install? What applications were you running when you put it to sleep? How long was it put asleep? Are you sure it wasn't in the middle of a process when you did that?

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I'm also having this problem but how are you so sure it is a problem with Leopard and not a problem with another piece of software you have installed?

You JUST running Leopard right now? That would help troubleshoot.

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

i did erase and lean install.

so far no other apps installed than just the leopard installation.

so yes it is a leopard only issue.

5. macguysoft macrumors member

Oh really? So I suppose you can explain why I don't experience such a problem with a Macbook Pro 1.84 GHz with 1.5 GBs or RAM? That's a bit too drastic of a conclusion right now because there could have been a variety of operations that are involved. The question is, does it still do it?

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Apply the update that just came out? I have and of course so far so good. Will wait and see. Interesting to hear you just have leopard installed so far and still having the problem. Guess my idea of having a 3rd party software went out the window.

Heard others had problems with some DiVX software and I have Flip4Mac installed. Was just about to pull that off. Guess don't have to do that now.

7. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

I installed the new leopard updates but the problem is still there. Very frustrating.

- No, spotlight is not indexing
    - Looking at activity monitor cpu-usage it's only at 1% so it's not leaking.

What could it be?

8. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

After the update I haven't had mine come back yet. Knock on wood!

9. bwlucas macrumors member

I have the exact same set up as you, and I'm still having the same problem even after that update. In some cases, it has completely locked up my mac and has forced me to hard restart it several times in two days.

It's starting to piss me off. There's no way it's not OS related. I haven't installed any new programs since upgrading and my Mac was humming with Tiger except for my computers inability to go to sleep both with the lid and UI command in less then 20 seconds.

10. itsmequinn macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem as well. It hasn't yet frozen my computer but the jumpiness doesn't go away with time. I have a Mac Book Pro by the by.

11. mappyuk macrumors newbie

Yes this is happening to me too macbook pro 2.2. Happened only after Leopard Install, sluggish after wake from sleep. Logout and in doesnt solve only reboot solves it.

Symptoms slow animations and lagging mouse movement. I think the chances of this being a Leopard bug are very high

12. shambolic macrumors regular

Same issue here - very similar machine (MBP 17" 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM). Mouse/trackpad super-sluggish after wake from sleep, no CPU/load issues.

No problem before upgrading (Archive and Install) to Leopard. Looks like it's affecting a specific subset of recent MBP models. (I have a PPC Powerbook that I also upgraded to Leopard that's not experiencing this issue)

Hopefully will be resolved in a 10.5.1 update, and that we won't be waiting too long for it. Rebooting is becoming quite tiresome.

13. HyperX macrumors regular

HyperX

I am having the same issue, this is insane. It's a notebook and I can no longer put it to sleep. When is apple going to fix this? 2.2 15" SR Macbook Pro

14. bwlucas macrumors member

15. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Sounds like common sense to me not a "drastic conclusion" !

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I have a MBP 17" 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and did an archive and install and have had none of the issues on this thread. I have a ton f software on it too all running smoothly.

17. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

I'm one more having this exact same issue! Glad it's not just me. I have a 2.2 Ghz SR MBP and NEVER had this problem with Tiger. Usually it has a hard time waking up (screen is black when I open lid) but eventually it wakes up. Then, everything is "choppy" and sluggish. Restarting fixes it. Solution?

18. bwlucas macrumors member

10.5.1 :( ...I hope.

19. boz0 macrumors regular

I've got a similar problem on my 15" 2.4 MBP. It takes about 3 times as long to wake up as it did with Tiger. It's not particularly sluggish after that, though.

I, too, have Flip4Mac installed. Will try to remove it and see what happens this evening.