Leopard - sluggish

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Legacy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Legacy macrumors 6502

It IS slower than Tiger..in the respect of graphical responsiveness...there are also slight glitches with the GMA drivers for the MacBook..has anyone else experienced this?

BTW I'm running it on battery to see how long the bat time will be...

2. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I agree, spaces tends to be sluggish for me (w/ my core duo macbook)

3. cuanurse macrumors regular

Everything is super slow for me after the upgrade to Leopard. Typing is slow... opening every folder takes a few seconds! My MacBook Pro isn't even 6 mos old. What is the deal?!?

4. reubs macrumors 68000

I'll be interested to see how this develops. I have an original 1.83 Macbook, and I was pretty much assured a new OS would run well on it. Maybe after 10.5.X update or two the sluggishness will subside, but one would hope this wouldn't be an issue at all.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Has spotlight finished indexing yet.

Click in the upper right corner on the magnifying glass.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. CPU is quiet but everything is really sluggish. Spaces/Expose/Dashboard/Dock... No spotlight indexing going on.

7. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

How did you install? Erase/Archive/U-G?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Archive & Install.

9. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I did a fresh install on my macbook and its really fast, [1.83Ghz 2GB ram]

Spaces is a tad slow but that is because of the GMA950. Everything else is real nice and fast for me.

My iMac with a 2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, and a x1600 flys. Much faster then tiger.

10. Hobbit6003 macrumors member

I've installed Leopard on my 2.4ghz SR MBP with 4gb of RAM, and so far, I've found many common tasks to be noticeably faster than Tiger, and this includes docks, spaces, etc.

I archived and installed, but that seems to be unnecessary for me, as so far with my regular apps (Aperture, Photoshop CS2, iLife apps, etc), there appear to be no problem.

11. Spike099 macrumors regular

Did a fresh install myself on my MPB 2GB ram. I had installed iWork, iLife and a bunch of goodies, and spaces seemed sluggish when switch to a space with cover flow enabled. After a restart, everything is smooth. Cover flow in iTunes seems smoother than my Tiger install, the finder cover flow is incredible, I just found 100's of movies I never knew I had.

12. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Not to start an argument, but to those on MacBooks... I've got a 1.83 Core Duo with 2GB RAM and a 100 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. I did an erase/install and have noticed that it's much faster than Tiger. I don't claim to know why you're experiencing a slow down, I guess I just wanted to offer a little hope that it was solvable. :)

13. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I've installed twice...

i wanted to know what upgrading was like and if it was worth it, so I did an upgrade first. It was much faster than Tiger in everything I tried. Apps opened and closed immediately, boot time was great. Quicklook and Spotlight were also much quicker.

I then did a clean install when I got back from work. Faster still.

I did all this on a 17" MacBook Pro CD 2.16 | 2GB RAM | 200GB 7200 RPM HD | Radeon X1600 256MB

14. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Probably something to do with the amount of RAM you have. It looks like a minimum of 2GB should be recommended for good performance.

15. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

So erase/install it is I guess...or maybe more ram? I have 1.25GB atm...

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have 2G and its still sluggish. Spotlight is faster but anything that requires the GMA950 is sssllllooooowwww.....

17. cuanurse macrumors regular

Yes, spotlight has finished. I have even restarted and that helped for a minute but then after not doing much it was slow again. I have quit all programs except Firefox or Safari (tried both at separate times to see if one was faster than the other). I am running a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB 667 MHz RAM.

18. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I'd hate for you to go through that much work and for it not to be helpful.

Just so you know, I'm not blindly saying that I see a performance boost like some fanboi. I do see a noticeable improvement but so far I'm a little underwhelmed by Leopard. The performance improvement is one of the pluses. :);)

19. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've just plugged in my MacBook to the mains source and the GMA is far more responsive! Things are pretty similar to Tiger... also my battery life has improved by around 20 minutes! WHY?

Better throttling of the GPU and CPU I think...but at a slight smoothness cost. I'm gonna buy an extra gig and bump it up to 2GB soon..the dual channel should help that lil bit more with the GMA

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I get sluggish performance as well. I notice a lot of video tearing and graphical stutters when moving windows and spaces and stuff.

21. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

Yeah, I'm definitely noticing a loss in how smooth things like opening Dashboard or Expose' are. Back on Tiger, things used to start acting that way when I was running on battery, I just sorta assumed the GPU's clock got slowed to conserve battery life, but I'm on AC now. I'm on a 2.33 MBP, so I really don't think a weak graphics card could be the cause.

Also, I checked the activity monitor and a process called mds, the spotlight indexer I think, is taking up 94 MB of RAM and is at 721 MB of virtual memory. I've had Leopard up and running for about 3-4 hours, shouldn't it be done indexing by now?

22. mwdmeyer macrumors member

Mine is awesome fast (see sig), I did a clean install.

Maybe it has something to do with the hard drive, as mine is an upgraded HDD.

23. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I backed up everything, did a fresh install on my Macbook Pro... Leopard runs much faster (and is much more responsive) than Tiger.

For me, at least.

24. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Boot times really slow. My mac mini boots in 35s, macbook pro 2.4ghz with leopard took 1m 50s. Messed up.

25. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

stacks are very sluggish, sidebar is sluggish, especially clicking and opening things. sluggish all around. like, noticable pauses between clicking, and the subsequent action.

alu imac 2.4, 3gigs ram, 256meg video.