Leopard - > Snow Leopard $29 upgrade eligibility for Developers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gdelprete, Jul 31, 2009.

1. gdelprete macrumors newbie

Hello!

Does anyone know if the Leopard to Snow Leopard $29 Upgrade Price is available also for people who were registered developer at Apple and did indeed receive their copy of Leopard with ADC Mailing?

I myself have a MacBook Pro which originally came with Tiger, which I upgraded to Leopard thanks to the Leopard CD Apple sent me when I was an Apple Developer.

Regards,
    Gabriele

2. iBug2 macrumors 68040

ADC members get every OS upgrade for free through ADC. I mean select/premier members ofc.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

Providing that you don't just get it for free as part of ADC, yes, the upgrade fee of $29 would be valid. You just have to have the full final version of Leopard already installed - it does not have to be a retail version.

4. gdelprete thread starter macrumors newbie

Student membership also provided OS updates; I was a student member, and am not anymore (due to lack of time to develop something for macos...).

I don't understand how I'll be able to show Apple that I'm indeed running Leopard. I believe I'll need to show my Apple retailer the Leopard CD? What is the procedure?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In general, Apple software upgrades have not required you to prove you had a previous version, though this is admittedly a different approach with Snow Leopard. There is a snowball's chance in hell that you would need to show a retailer a Leopard disk, however. The absurdity of that idea is enormous. Even Microsoft wouldn't consider that.

Having the pop the disk in when you try to install SL is a (very) remote possibility, but I feel that it is most likely you can simply purchase the upgrade and install it without any software checks at all, given Apple's history.

jW

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Nobody knows the procedure yet exept for apple, although I assume its just based on the honor system based on apple's track record

7. pooryou macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if they are mailing out Snow Leopard discs to ADC Select members, or is it a download only version?

8. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It requires an Intel Mac, therefore the vast majority of people who fit the requirements are using Leopard. A small number are using Tiger, but not enough to justify inconveniencing everybody.

Apple don't really care all that much. If Apple really cared about software piracy, they'd be closing down on the hackintoshes and adding serial numbers to OSX and iLife.

9. pooryou macrumors 65816

Anyone? Too bad the Apple site doesn't make this clear.