Leopard, Snow Leopard & Lion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Newbe, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Newbe macrumors member

I bought my iMac in 2008 and I did not upgraded to Leopard or Snow Leopard. Lion will be released soon. Can I wait until Lion is released and then upgrade to Lion or will I be required to upgrade to Leopard prior to upgrading to Lion:confused?:?

2. GGJstudios, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you bought it new in 2008, it came with Leopard (10.5). When Lion (10.7) is released, you can upgrade directly to it without first upgrading to Snow Leopard (10.6).

Edit: My statement was based on previous history with Mac OS upgrades. As we all know by now, Apple has changed the upgrade rules with Lion, making it only available through the Mac App Store, which is not available from Leopard. Time will tell if they make some consideration for Leopard users who wish to upgrade to Lion without buying SL.

3. rich1383 macrumors newbie

not according to Apple

Apple is saying right now that you can only get Lion (10.7) online through the Mac App Store, and you can only get access to that via upgrading to Snow Leopard, which comes with the Mac App Store app. (This terminology is killing me, and others are confused as well!)

I hope they change this policy and give users a Leopard -> Lion direct upgrade path...

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Please note that GGJStudios post was made before it was announced that Lion would be available exclusively through the App Store.

Go spend $30 on Snow Leopard now. Then feel free to spend $30 to upgrade to Lion when it's released. $60 is still a great deal for a major OS upgrade. Before Snow Leopard, OS upgrades cost as much as $130.

Or I suppose you could always go get a copy of Windows 7 for $180+ :D

5. GaCarver macrumors newbie

Leopard to Snow

I just bought a new Mac Pro. Can I use that System disc to upgrade my Imac to Snow Leopard?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models.