leopard split onto 2 dvd's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markyg4, Jul 17, 2008.

1. markyg4 macrumors newbie

Hi there, i have a copy of leopard which i have to firewire from my g4 ppc to install onto my powerbook as it doesnt have a superdrive and therefore wont read copied dl disks, i have been trying to find a program or advice about how to split leopard onto 2 dvd-r's but have not had much luck, toast will split it but it wont work as a boot disk and will only work as a restore disk (not much use if the mac was to crash), found a program called dmgscissor which splits it but still wont allow it to write as 2 dmg's, needs some help as im totally stuck.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

another route to go, which i have done before:

• erase a hard disk that's big enough to hold the leopard install DVD, or create a partition on a hard disk that's big enough to hold the leopard install DVD.

• use disk utility to restore the leopard dvd onto the blank partition/drive.

• plug the drive into the mac you want to install leopard on, boot holding the option key, and choose your new leopard install hard drive to boot to

• there is no step 4. (edit: acutal step 4 exists. be aware that format type and position of partition may not allow booting, but those details are beyond the scope of this post. formatting with HFS+ and only 1 partition will ensure success. batteries not included. void where prohibited in RI, CA, TX and UT.)

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

FYI the option above works great. I just used it to re-install Leopard on my Mini because the disk had a scratch that made it keep erroring out during install on the mini. I restored it to a portable HD on my Mac Pro and installed it without any problems.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

google for how to fit a leopard disk into a dvd-r.

you have to delete all the languages, and some extra stuff, leaving only the bare minimum

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

If you have two G4 machines you should be able to connect the powerbook using target disk mode to your other G4 and use that machine to install Leopard directly onto the powerbook's hard drive. (This won't work if you have one G4 and one intel.)