Leopard Start up getting slower!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benmadrid, Dec 4, 2007.

1. benmadrid macrumors member

Hi,

I have a year old macbook with 2gb ram, 120 HD with about 22 gigs free still. I installed Leopard a week or so ago and nothing bad has happened, all seems to be working fine.

But I think the start up suddenly got much slower this week. It takes about 35 seconds from hitting the power button until I get to the purple spacey leopard screen where I get to choose my user pic. I'm pretty sure it was quicker than this for the first week of Leopard, and don't think I've installed much since then. What could make this initial start up slow (before I even get beyond the user screen part?)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you set up Boot Camp, by any chance? This is known to slow startup times. Resetting the PRAM may help (after the startup chime sounds, hold down Command + Option + P + R, and wait until it chimes twice).

3. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

I haven't installed bootcamp, no.

One stupid question but I still get confused... is the Option key the ctrl key or the alt key :confused:

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is the alt key.

ctrl stands for control.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have no idea why us brits get alt when the Americans get option...

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It's because they can't handle it being referred to with one name but actually being called another.;)

Seems like the Spanish get "alt" as well.

7. benmadrid thread starter macrumors member

Yup, we get alt.

Anyway, back to this issue, I reset the pram and nothing changes, still slow. It seems to get stuck for a bit on the blue screen before the Leopardy-purple-space username screen, even has the fans kicking in quite a bit sometime. The only think I have installed since Leopard in Omnifocus, cut I can't see how that is doing it...