Leopard suddenly says I have no sound card

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Enterprise8875, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Enterprise8875 macrumors member

So i just got my 320GB external hard drive in for time machine. I plug it in and it starts to back up but then seems to freeze(its staying at 1.3 GB backed up for several min) so i decide to restart.

After restart my volume icon is now blank in the menu bar, if I try to adjust volume the overlay is grayed out and in system preferences it says "No output device found".

So its seems OS 10.5 has misplaced my sound card.

Any help would be much appreciated, oh and my system is in my sig.

2. unity macrumors 6502a

A. Shutdown, do not just restart

B. Repair permissions.

C. Insert headphones and remove them.

D. Reinstall leopard.

Try those first, D is a last resort.

I have been having some audio problems too, its seems my Powerbook has take on some of the traits that some iPhones have. With the iPhones they sometimes loose audio but plugging in then unplugging the headphones fixes it.

3. jepaz macrumors regular

Reset the PRAM and NVRAM by doing the following steps:

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    6. Release the keys.

4. unity macrumors 6502a

OP can try those, but I can tell ya I already have over several days. I also reset the PMU manually. Same problem, a reboot fixes it each time. I am also having cursor issues at the same time. Next time I will check the Activity Monitor, its almost as if a runaway process is causing this.

5. jepaz macrumors regular

I actually experienced this last night and resetting the PRAM worked for me though.

I suggest you reinstall Leopard.

6. esaleris macrumors 6502

When you boot, does it make the chime? If it does, it's a Leopard thing. If it doesn't, the connection may have come loose inside your machine and you'll need to open it or take it in to get fixed.

7. odHbo macrumors member

I'm having the same problem as well and it's very frustrating. It usually fixes itself after a few reboots but the system chimes each time yet the soundcard is MIA by the time it hits the log in screen.

This has to be a leopard problem... I can't wait for 10.5.2.

8. odHbo macrumors member

Ok, before my sound card wouldn't show up every now and then... Now it's every time I start my computer up and it takes 3-4 restarts of the PRAM before it's working again. Any ideas?:confused: