Leopard System Files Visible in Root Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NeXTLoop, Oct 29, 2007.

1. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I just got done doing an Erase and Install on my MBP. I noticed that in the root Macintosh HD directory, all the Unix system files and directories are visible, unlike Tiger where they were hidden.

Is that standard? I just want to make sure I don't have a screwed up preference file somewhere.

2. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Nope. They should be invisible just like Tiger.

3. NeXTLoop thread starter macrumors member

NeXTLoop

4. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I have the same issue on my MBP. I did a clean install on my Mac Pro and the files are hidden like they should be.

5. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Easy to change the flag though. Type this in Terminal.

Hide Invisible Files

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean no

sudo killall Finder

Show Invisible Files

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean yes

sudo killall Finder

6. NeXTLoop thread starter macrumors member

NeXTLoop

It appears X11 is causing the files to be visible. A number of guys over at Apple Discussion Boards have tried re-installing without X11 and those files are all hidden. Maybe Apple figures that if we're using X11 we're going to want to see all the Unix stuff as well by default.

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I didn't install X11 on either install, unless it installs by default. That wouldn't explain why the hidden files show on my MBP and not my Mac Pro.

EDIT: I typed the commands listed above into Terminal and the hidden files are still showing. I tried logging out and in and they still show as well.

8. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Just been reading that Apple has apparently changed the way the visible and invisible commands work in Leopard. Can't find the correct command at the moment.:confused:

9. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I clean installed WITH X11 on a MacBook Pro and they are hidden like they should be.

10. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I have the same issue, clean install with X11 on a MBP. :(

Luckily this is the only real problem I've run into.

EDIT: Which are also visible under a guest account. Great! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

From http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5652274&#5652274

Make sure you have the Developer Tools installed and I had 6 com.apple.LaunchServices*.caches so YMMV.

12. NeXTLoop thread starter macrumors member

NeXTLoop

I went ahead and reinstalled Leopard from scratch, following exactly the same steps and options as the first time... including installing X11. This time the files are correctly hidden.

Weird...

13. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

These commands still worked for me.

However, I did not use sudo for Killall, it it isn't necessary and for some reason doesn't work when you use it in conjunction with Killall.

14. gravitonmatrix macrumors newbie

Invisible Drive

Anyone know how to make an invisible root drive visible? After updating to 10.5.1 (even reinstalling from 10.5.1 disc image from apple's site) the root hard drive is invisible. I even reinstalled Leopard with Archive and Install and it is still invisible. Also created a new user, to no avail.

I am booted off of the root drive, I can get to all of my files, I am just not able to get to the root level of the drive itself as it is invisible. Switching off the show/hide hard drive doesn't fix it. The only way I can get to the root level of the drive is to fire up OnyX and make all invisible files visible, and then the drive appears on my Desktop. Something is telling the drive to be invisible. Is there a Terminal command to make the drive visible? The drive is simply called "Macintosh HD". Thanks! This one has me stumped.

15. bbrrii macrumors newbie

Confirmed Solution for the Visible System files...

I finally found a solution... Just rerun the Leopard Installer again.. it will be refreshing ur system files.. This will fix the problem... Post back if u are successful...

16. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

The whole point was not to have to reinstall.

17. babyfett macrumors newbie

Anyone know if the terminal code here still works in Leopard. On the Apple boards they're saying it should be defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF. Same thing? Thanks.