Leopard System Hang on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jas123, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Jas123 macrumors member

After I enter my username to log into leopard, the dialog box goes away and the standard leopard wallpaper comes up but nothing else. No icons, no menu bar, all I get is the wallpaper and my mouse pointer which I can move around. From there I have to hold down the power button to turn the computer off and then it will boot up fine. This is a new MacBook Pro could someone please shed some light.

Note: i've tried command-Q to try and shut it down but the keyboard doesn't appear to be responsive.

Thanks

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Is this after being asleep?, Do you have all the updates, Maybe you should try onyx and verify/repair permissions? how much of your HD is consumed? What do you use it for Video editing, Photo, Music, What is your start-up items?
    I am kinda new too so i am sure someone else can help in greater detail.

3. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

No it is not after being alseep, I have sufficient Disk Space, All the updates, No intensive use, didn't add anything to the start up. I got this laptop less than a month ago. thanks for the response.

4. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Boot from your Mac OS X Installation DVD by holding down C when you turn on your computer. From the DVD's menubar, select Utilities -> Disk Utility. Run Repair Disk. If you get any errors, re-run it until you don't. Do the same thing for Repair Permissions.

5. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

I will try that, I'm not sure if it makes any difference but i've run the "scan"-disk utility- in leopard and it shows that the HDD is fine.

6. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

7. Jas123 thread starter macrumors member

So I diagnosed the problem to be FireVault, Apple Care's solution was to not use it. Does anybody else have better advice? Thanks