Leopard System Wide Font Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krell100, Oct 27, 2007.

1. krell100 macrumors member

I've clean installed Leopard and put in my fonts as used previously in Tiger, which are common commercial fonts such as Din, Dax etc.

Now in various apps such as Dashboard and Safari the 'default' system display font in those apps is kind of a strange outline rather than the normal solid text. See attachment to see what I mean. Note that apart from Leopard the system, including the fonts, is identical and this problem is new after the Leopard install.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you solve it?

System:
    OS10.5
    mac pro 2.66Ghz, 3Gb Ram, 2x320Gb HDD.
    CS3 Design premium Suite

Any ideas or direction appreciated!

krell

Attached Files:

2. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

ever since upgrading to leopard, my fonts in dashboard are screwed up as well. They use some big heavy ugly font instead of the one it's supposed to use. I don't know how to resolve this, and I am hoping an update will come out.

3. smallen13 Guest

same problem

i am having the same problem. I sort of fixed it by going to font book and disabling helvetica neue. i'm pretty sure that font is the majority of the problem. i disabled just helvetica neue outline, and it changed all the outline fonts to helvetica neue black, so i disabled the whole font, and now the only problem is a slight baseline shift up. most of my widgets look... good enough. there is still a pretty significant baseline shift on the date on my ical icon in the dock tho (see below). if anyone figures that out, i'd love to know.
    [​IMG]

4. krell100 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Yes I can confirm that de-activating Helvetica Neue in Fontbook does get rid of the problem:) however, now there is no helvetica neue:rolleyes:

I wonder why this one font is the problem...

Also, the baseline shift problem didn't occur for me - sorry smallen13 - so everything seems to be OK font wise.

Thanks!

5. SomeMacGuy macrumors member

I was having the same problems. I deleted every other variation of Helvetica in my ~/Library/Fonts folder. Restarted and everything was back to normal.

I'm a designer and losing Helvetica (except for the system font), sucks. But, having the computer run smoothly is more important.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Did you guys try clearing your font caches and the system font caches and rebooting?

-Kevin

7. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

I couldn't find a way to clear the font cache with fontbook...

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

It looks like Leopard changed the way to clear the fonts caches, so I'm not sure how to in Leopard.

In Tiger the folder used to be:
    HD -> Library -> Caches -> com.apple.ATS

But that folder doesn't exist on Leopard anymore. Instead there are files there which look like they might be cache file, but I wouldn't recommend messing with them unless someone else responds that that is the correct way to fix this.

-Kevin

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

So...along these lines, does Fontbook actually work in Leopard? In Tiger I could never seem to get it to identify any of the fonts in my user library...