Leopard takes 55" to fully boot for me; normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichardF, Nov 21, 2007.

1. RichardF macrumors 6502

RichardF

From cold start to fully avail desktop and no start-up items, Leopard (10.5.1) takes 55" to boot. (see my specs in my signature).
    That's as much as XP Pro SP2 on a slower configured Vaio I have.

The only I thing I see is that I have customized the Time area to display, date + time and that seems to take an extra 2". BUt I had this customization on my previous Mac as well and Tiger didn't seem to kind-of-stop on it for 2".

It seems to me that this is also longer than Tiger 10.4.10 (before I sold my 17" Powerbook 64 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 5K400 100GB HDD) which took about 35".

How long does it take for you?

2. weeman macrumors 6502

I'm not too sure how long it takes my computer, but I know leopard takes longer to load than tiger for me also.

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

My friend has a 2.4 15" MBP, and it takes less than 25 seconds for him to boot up his machine. He is running Leopard.

Have you tried performing a PRAM reset?

4. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502

RichardF

From cold start into a fully ready Desktop? Interesting/ great- that's as good as having a SSD drive!

I will try the PRAM reset.

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

My MBP 2.16 is in the 25-30 sec range, so 55 seems long.

It might be looking around for boot devices. Remove all externals and optical discs and try again.

Also, set your internal drive as the startup disk in system preferences.

Maybe it's the wireless keyboard (or mouse). I know the computer wants to connect to a keyboard early in the boot process (before the boot device is selected), though I don't know whether or not it tries this with bluetooth devices.

How much time does it spend with the screen grey vs. blue?

I forget how, but there is some way to view the boot log. That might help you understand where the extra seconds are going...

6. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502

RichardF

1) 55" with nothing plugged-in.

2) Had done that indeed.

3) I have a BT MM and a BT Keyboard in System Preferences > Bluetooth set as Favorites. That could be it: will delete both and try to time the boot process.

4) Will time that before and after I perform 3) and report back.

5) Will also look around for the log. That could be interesting.

Thank you.

7. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

Well how valuable are those seconds? Just out of curiosity.. cuz you could use that time to catch up on some reading or something.

8. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502

RichardF

True, but I am not asking for that reason. Just trying to determine whether something is wrong with my computer.

If you also use Leopard, how long does it take to boot from a cold start for you?

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I think my MBP takes ages to load (in Leopard) as well. It used to be 20-25 secs, now it takes up to a minute but it depends. Sometimes its 40 second, I'm slightly confused.

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

55 inches seems way too long... try cutting some of it off? :confused:

11. ale500 macrumors regular

Mine takes ages... to power off, sometimes is just 5 to 10 seconds... other times is above 1 minute, just sis there showning the wallpaper, menu bar and dock are long gone. That never happened with Tiger. Maybe is writting down to disk... I always close everything before shutting down.

My bootup time went down after I run verify disk/permissions and repaired the disk :)

(MB C2D 2.0, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB disk)

12. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

You beat me to it!!

(seriously though, 55 inches really is way too long)

13. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

:D :D

14. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

I'm a strict Vista user actually.. never touch macs if i don't have to.

lol I just wanted to see what it was like to be a fool. Ok.. so it took me 13 seconds to power down.. and a full minute to power up.. I'm on a 2.16ghz blackie with 2Gigs.... but 15 or so seconds was activating a bunch of **** at startup.. like I had 2 firewire hard drives mount, it auto loaded quicksilver, connected to my wifi network, started Hot Keys for itunes, and UControl Desktops... so it seems pretty on par.

15. lfc200 macrumors member

my 2.16Ghz macbook takes about 20 seconds to go from being turned off to fully usable. For me this is about the same as tiger took

16. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

17. ktzanet macrumors newbie

I just bought a MBP and installed Leopard. When I logged on, it asked me to upgrade to 10.5.2. So I did and since then it takes approximately 5 minutes to start. At first there is a white bright screen and then there is a globe (i think only when connected to the internet-what is that?). Then comes the apple for 30sec and it opens. I now am doing a new installation. Any suggestions? Should i install 10.5.2 when asked or not?

18. amoda macrumors 6502a

Well, I just tested my MBP (2.2 stock) and it took it 1min and 32.2 secs to fully load up. By fully load I mean until the hard drive stops making noise. So I could've used the desktop like 5/10 secs earlier but there were still things in the background being loaded.

Here are my log in items (which I assume delays the loading time):

iTunesHelper
    GrowlHelperApp
    iStat menus Helper
    CheckUpAlert
    Quicksilver

19. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

My MBP takes about 30-40 seconds to boot fully. My startup items are iTunes helper, iChat (auto login), Awaken, and Lab Tick.

[​IMG]

20. trippyD macrumors newbie

unix to the rescue...
    from a terminal command line:

sudo dmesg | less

21. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502

RichardF

Thank you. When I type that into Terminal and enter my password when prompted, it outputs content which seem to require scrolling but the scrolling bar is no longer useable: it's just gray. I can go down the text by pressing enter or the space bar but there is no way to select the entire output, not that I have found at least.

Anyway to output the result page by page or print the entire text to the .txt file?

This is what filled up my Terminal window but it look incomplete:

69 at Sep 10 2008 18:47:35
    vmci: Initializing module.
    vmci: VMCI: Driver initialized.
    vmci: Module initialized.
    vmioplug: Loaded @ 0x6a39d152: Info 0x6a3a0d60 Name com.vmware.kext.vmioplug Version 2.0.0 build-116
    369 at Sep 10 2008 18:47:37
    vmnet: Loaded @ 0x6a41a152: Info 0x6a421020 Name com.vmware.kext.vmnet Version 2.0.0 build-116369 at
    Sep 10 2008 18:47:37
    vmnet: Initializing module.
    vmnet: VMNet_Start allocated gOSMallocTag
    vmnet: Module initialized.
    vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x740db00.
    vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x740db00
    vmnet: Hub 8 does not exist, allocating memory.
    vmnet: Allocated hub 0x7512800 for hubNum 8.
    vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:fd:3f:ea
    vmnet: Hub 8
    vmnet: Port 0
    vmnet: VNetUserIf_Create: created userIf at 0x7523700.
    vmnet: VMNetConnect: returning port 0x7523700
    vmnet: VMNET_SO_BINDTOHUB: port: paddr 00:50:56:f8:e8:4b
    vmnet: Hub 8
    vmnet: Port 0
    vmnet: Port 1
    :

22. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

I have a 2.16ghz 2gb macbook pro, and it takes several minutes to start up, which is down from about 10 minutes. There is something wrong with mine (the logic board needs replacing) but I live with it for now.
    I hate hearing people worry about a computer taking less than a minute to start up. Do you complain at McDonald's when they don't hand you your big mac in less than a minute? Honestly...

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It means when you uninstall VMware, your boot times will drop like a rock.

24. Betelgeuse macrumors member

Yup. Use the redirect command:

sudo dmesg > txtfile

Then, 'txtfile' will have everything that dmesg output. And, if you wanted to append to that file (as opposed to writing a new file), you can use double-greater-than sign ('>>').

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

More ram = longer boot time

Perhaps your harddrive is full or you do a lot of torrents?