Leopard takes 9 gigs?

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Why does leopard take 9gigs if I think I read somewhere that tiger only takes 3?

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Just don't install all of the extra language support and you can reduce it by a good few gigs.
Oh so that's why it takes 9 gigs?:rolleyes:

@zblaxberg

That's a good question. All I can imagine is that it takes some massive code programing to get all the 64 bit support.
It is a huge size increase and it's nearing XP which I think takes about 15 gigs. :eek:

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
Why does leopard take 9gigs if I think I read somewhere that tiger only takes 3?
Tiger retail was PPC only. Leopard retail is Universal 32/64-bit, plus it includes additional features, drivers, media files, and localizations.

In any case, if you do a custom install and de-select all the languages and printer drivers you don't need, you can reduce Leopard's footprint by about 3GB.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
That's a good question. All I can imagine is that it takes some massive code programing to get all the 64 bit support.
It is a huge size increase and it's nearing XP which I think takes about 15 gigs.
Not true, you're talking about Vista there. XP only takes a couple of gigs, so Leopard surpassed that. But I really don't understand people whining about it - drives are getting bigger and so is software. When games get released on DVDs instead of CDs nobody seems to complain.

cobravap

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
Vista was about 10 gig install if i remember correctly. Yes bloated but i guess it would have it be. I wonder if there will be an option for PPC and Intel installs? What does everyone think? I doubt it though.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Vista was about 10 gig install if i remember correctly. Yes bloated but i guess it would have it be. I wonder if there will be an option for PPC and Intel installs? What does everyone think? I doubt it though.
notta.......the installer is smart enough to know which platform you have & installs only the appropriate code sets :)

As for the space needed, YES you can significantly reduce it by only installing the language packs/localizations & printer drivers that you actually will use!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
if you install xcode or x11 it takes even more. with 500gb+ drives these days it doesnt mean too much, just a longer install time

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Tiger retail was PPC only. Leopard retail is Universal 32/64-bit, plus it includes additional features, drivers, media files, and localizations.

In any case, if you do a custom install and de-select all the languages and printer drivers you don't need, you can reduce Leopard's footprint by about 3GB.
exactly!... this is what i thought

haha pawprint.... good one! :D