Leopard, Time Machine, and 4 HDs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jacobhb, Oct 10, 2007.

1. jacobhb macrumors newbie

I currently have a raid 1+0 in my mac pro spanning 4 320GB HDs. I will soon be breaking the raid up due to needs to install bootcamp and creating a separate boot drive so (in the future) I don't have back everything up, erase all my data then reinstall OS X, and re copy all my data.

So my plan:
    Drive 1: OS X and Windows partition
    Drive 2 & Drive 3: Create a mirrored raid for all my data
    Drive 4: Time Machine (Can time machine be installed on an internal?)

For drive 4, I was planning on buying a 500 or 750 GB hd to replace my current 320. The 320 would then be used as an eSata to run superDuper on.

Any suggestions? Can we used an internal for time machine?

Thanks

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

You can run Time Machine on an internal drive, heck you can even partition your drive and use that partition as the Time Machine. I think they recommend against it since although you have 4 drives, if you get a massive power surge, what takes down 1 drive will likely take down all 4. Conversely, if you have it as an external, it might not get fried in addition to your main system.

So yes, you can do it.

3. jacobhb thread starter macrumors newbie

This reminds me... Before when I tried to split a raid array, the drives became locked... the only way to fix it was to bring it to my friends window box and use some 3rd party tools to unlock and reformat it, then bring it back to my mac and format it again. Does anyone know how to prevent this?