Leopard to have built-in remote desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by legaleye3000, Oct 11, 2007.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Will Leopard have something like remote desktop built in? Thanks

2. projectle macrumors 6502

Yea, it is called VNC and it has been in there for YEARS!

See it for yourself under your "System Preferences" -> "Sharing" tab.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi Projectle- I swear I'm not a n00b, but I have never known about this... Are you saying its in Tiger too or you just talking about Leopard?

I'm not running Leopard right now, but is it "easy to use" for n00bs (like its easy in Windows), or no? Thanks!

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Yes - it's called "screen sharing" and it's supposedly very snappy™ at this point. It's basically a very very very stripped-down version of ARD from what I hear.

5. projectle macrumors 6502

Tiger has it and Panther had it, too.

Leopard's is definitely a "lot easier" from what I hear because it has a client built-in instead of needing to download a VNC client from the web.

From the screenshots on Apple's site, all you will need to do is go to "System Preferences" -> "Sharing" -> "Screen Sharing"

In turn, you just click a check-box and memorize your IP.

When you want to connect, all you will need to do is open up your "Screen Sharing" Application on Leopard or any VNC viewer around for any OS to connect.

In the past, it has still been just one checkbox and memorizing an IP, except you would need to download a copy of "Chicken of the VNC" or any other VNC viewer around in order to remote access your box.

One good thing about going with an open standard is that there are even some Java Web-based VNC viewers, so that you can remote administer from anywhere without the need to install anything.

6. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

What I'm trying to get at is....

I have a MAC and sister has a MAC... She needs help- So (back in Windows days), I would tell her to go to "Remote Assistance" in Windows and send me an invitation and there I go; I'm in control of her computer...

That simple? (When Leopard comes out) Thanks again

7. projectle macrumors 6502

Also, to answer StealthRider, ARD is just a VNC client with a filesystem browser built-in so that you would not need to do a second step of mounting your hard disk if you need to do something.

There are also things like scheduled connects and jobs that can be run autonomously, however those are really just useful for an Admin who needs to keep everything up-to-date more than anything.

Most people that I know simply use a Cron job to handle all that stuff anyways because it requires less overhead and also leaves the machine in a fully usable state while the Admin tasks are happening.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This was previously said to be in iChat, but I'm not sure about now...

Better than wait, right now, there is a great alternative. Just get your sister to install LogMeIn after you make an account, and bingo :)

9. projectle macrumors 6502

LegalEye, yes the new iChat has a "Remote Assist" option.

It was one of those things that Steve demoed at the last two WWDCs.

It was called iChat Theater if I remember correctly. It has the ability to remote access their box as well as doing remote presentations if so desired.

Very interesting stuff and I can't wait to use it with a few of my fellow classmates on a project or two as soon as it comes out.

Too bad it wasn't here for this quarter.

It's the far right button in all the screenshots on Apple's Leopard site.

10. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh ok- But will that feature let me control her entire computer like "Remote Assistance" in Windows...? (Not just presentations)

Thanks!

11. RodySt macrumors newbie

Yes, I can confirm it works very easy and fast.
    I'm really impressed and did not expect it would be this good :)

12. RodySt macrumors newbie

You can even shut down the computer :)
    I'm not 100% sure if you can use the keyboard, but the mouse works.

Edit:
    Keyboard works as well :)