Leopard to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gatesy08, Jul 19, 2011.

1. gatesy08 macrumors newbie

I know that the only way to upgrade to os Lion is to have the app store or os snow leopard. However I have os Leopard so i cannot upgrade, but am i able to go through my mom's computer, buy Lion and then register my apple user to her account so that i am authorized to get Lion? Or do i have to still purchase os Snow Leopard and then buy Lion through the app store?
    I hope this makes sense
    Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of computer do you have? If you don't have an Intel machine it won't even matter.

3. gatesy08 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Easiest way is to purchase SL then up to Lion. Otherwise try to make a Lion usb drive or dvd and clean install from it.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Apple has done it again! It's almost getting the point of being more difficult to upgrade OS X than Windows! I guess the timing wouldn't have mattered, but this, coming on the heels of the Tiger to Snow Leopard dilemma, just makes me think "here we go again"! People will always look for a way around the proscribed method I suppose. It was a lot easier to go from Jaguar to Leopard. Just buy the disc! Of course, Snow Leopard was cheaper. Well, if you had Leopard. Hew we go again!

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

i'd recommend you to buy lion and make your own dvd/usb stick and clean install.

7. SolarJ macrumors newbie

Don't buy the retail SL

When I bought my new 27" TB iMac and began the process of switching from my 2008 24"...I think it (the mac) knew it was being replaced and started giving me all sorts of problems.

Thank the lord for dropbox and time machine.

I was getting the ? folder on boot (24"). WTF right! So I called support and they said to use the disk that came with the 24", but I had upgraded to SL (and couldn't find the disk) in order to reboot from disk. Support said that they would mail me copy of SL for $16 vs retail cost (whatever that is).

So, you can get SL for $16 if you call support and fluff a little.

It took a while (10 days) to arrive.

The 24" got a new HD and Graphics whatever. Thanks to Apple care for free and I sold it for $800 on CL with SL

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

or make your own installer via a dvd (~$1) or usb ($10).