Leopard to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cep, Jul 24, 2011.

1. cep macrumors newbie

I have 3 MacBooks with Leopard on them. I just upgraded my iMac to to lion. Can I use the SL install disc from the iMac to upgrade the MacBooks to SL and then to Lion?
    The other choice is to buy SL, do I need to buy the family pack for the three MacBooks, or will the single user disc work? I am only using SL as a step to Lion.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The Snow Leopard disc for your iMac only works with that machine - can't use it with your MacBook's. You would have to buy Snow Leopard (RETAIL) install them on the rest of your computers then upgrade to Lion.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The single user disk will work but the proper way is to buy the family pack. If it's only to upgrade, I wouldn't sweat it and just use the single disk.

4. cep thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure that a single user version will work on my 3 MacBooks just as a step to Lion? The 3 MacBooks that my family has, has the button under the trackpad. Is this trackpad capable of using gestures?

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would suggest making a bootable disk (USB flash drive or DVD) with Lion on it. Since you are already upgraded Lion on your iMac I assume that you bought Lion or received a free copy Lion from the up to date Lion program. Simply re-download Lion on your iMac and create the boot disk. Use the boot disk to upgrade your other Mac computers. Of course you will have to do a clean install if you do it this way. This eliminates the need to install Snow Leopard first.