Leopard to Snow Leopard Install Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattbray, Aug 1, 2009.

1. mattbray macrumors member

Does anyone have a clue how Snow Leopard is going to validate that you are running Leopard before it allows for a clean install?

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This is a great question.

Previously when Apple did a free 10.1 update for 10.0 owners they did no validation whatsoever on the disc, but they did ask for proof of purchase of 10.0.

That was a long time ago now, if they ask for proof of purchase of Leopard or a Mac with Leopard (which went on sale 2x years ago) then many may be stuck. So it is unlikely they will use this approach.

Equally they can't check serial numbers… because there aren't any. So this will be interesting one to monitor. In truth, as this detail hasn't been announced, I suspect they either don't know and are still trying to figure it out.

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I'm sure I've seen an executable called OScheck inside .pkg/.mpkg in the past in OS X installers. And I'd guess this is what validates your install.

5. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Apple pulls this crap yet people bash MS for being confusing...

Anyway, the point is that nobody has any idea what is going on, which is a shame because the OS will release in 60 days and nobody knows how to prepare for it yet.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Because more people run into trouble with MS than Apple. If you current have Leopard on your machine, during the installation process I'm guessing the SL installer will probably check your HD and see if there is Leopard on there. My Dad has an XP partition on his (my old) MacBook. He forgot to enter in the product key during installation. After he installed + updated to SP3, he had to sort of trick the OS into letting him re-enter his key. But it didn't work. That's the difference between MS and Apple. Apple works and MS doesn't.

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

My guess is that it could discern from firmware updates, EFI, or even the model of computer and what OS it shipped with from dates and model.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If the screen turns black and your fan starts belching black smoke, you were not eligible for the upgrade and just paid the price.

Seriously, every system upgrade checks your hardware and current software/settings. If you are eligible "It Just Works."

Why are you SOOOOO worried this far out? Why are you worried? Chill, life goes on. Enjoy it without all the angst. ;)

9. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

What kind of preparation could you possibly do 60 days before receiving the software?

10. mattbray thread starter macrumors member

Apple should explain

Apple definitely needs to start explaining how the upgrades are going to work.

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Apple is generally very trusting of its customers. Leopard family pack is the same as single license and neither need activation. AFAIK, neither iLife or iWork require activation.

I think both versions will be a full blown retail copy that you can do whatever you wish with.

12. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

1. purchase SL copy
    2. insert disc
    3. choose which type of install
    4. sit back and wait for 20 min, have a beer.
    5. enjoy use of updated OS

Seriously, what do they need to explain? You already know you need to be running an intel machine and Leopard. What else do you need to know?

13. sonspot macrumors member

never heard or have this happen to me or anyone else and i reinstall windows every 8 to 10 months and i'll be doing the same with leopard. aside from your comment, you do whatever you have to do to install the new OS, no need worrying about it now..

14. font9a macrumors newbie

Are you kidding? Some people need exceptional reliability with their machines and software. It may seem oxymoronic to want to upgrade your OS as soon as a new one is released, but Snow Leopard provides some things my clients need immediately and so I need to upgrade as soon as it is released. That said, people like me need a plan to prepare our systems for upgrade.

This goes beyond the usual back up everything, have a bootable/installable version of your current OS handy as a fallback if the upgrade fails, etc.

In particular, I want to do a clean install on my SSD drive in my MacBook Pro. I want to make sure the drive is "wiped" before doing a clean install to ensure wear-leveling over the past few months doesn't affect performance. (Except endurance.) Also, I want to make sure my Applications can reliably migrate from my old setup to the new one on Snow Leopard once it's installed. Will the Migration tool be sufficient? or will I have to dig up every last serial for each application and have to re-install from scratch? Will Mail.app data reliably update to the new system? etc.

These are scenarios that we can take steps now to prepare for. 60 days is actually just cutting it close.

-- f9a

15. sonspot macrumors member

from what you've posted, it does not take much to prepare, if the software and setting on the putter are that important you should be backing up hence preparing 60 days ahead is a waste IMO. if your using a new drive, whats else do you need to know?..

16. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

We will not know the answer until:

(a) Apple announces Snow Leopard's release date, at which time people will contact Apple Sales and they'll explain the process.

or

(b) After Snow Leopard is released and people play around with the install.

Frankly, I just want to know how one will be able to do a clean install. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they tell us.

17. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

This is just ridicoulous, just get a spare drive to run it from! No one should install a new OS without running it through some tests of real world usage first. So what if your clients need it now- it's not ready! If you're are sooooo adamant about getting ready, then you should have joined the developer program to get a copy of an early release. You're "stuck" in the same situation as me. Once Snow Leopard is released, I'll run it from another partition or drive until I get all of my primary applications tested and install any updates that may be available. This could take weeks. When I'm happy that everything runs okay , I'll migrate Snow Leopard to my primary drives and computers for everyday use. I figure that will take a month or so AFTER it's released depending on how many of my primary apps need updated. I probably won't even install it for the first few weeks AFTER it's released to allow other people on the internet to bug check for me. I'm sure there will be many threads popping up on the web that will list all of the applications that work, and those that don't and any major issues. I might even wait until after the first update BEFORE using it on my primary work machine.