Leopard to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

I'm sure it will be possible to upgrade to Snow Leopard without losing any files/ settings, right?

Will those unnecessary or 'fatty' Leopard files be removed/ replaced and the 6GB space gained without affecting user/ system settings?

2. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

I don't think so, something you will lose, but not entire hard drive.

I'll make a clean install :)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not likely unless you do a clean install. The reduction in space is mostly due to removing PPC code.

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Archive and Install. All you apps, and settings will then be saved.

But, yes a clean install is probably your best bet.

5. lukin macrumors regular

This will be my first upgrade from one OS x version to another.

If I backup with time machine and buy the $29 SL will I be able to clean install SL and pull my files down with TM again?

Is it even worth it to do a clean install vs upgrade?

Thanks

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Am I right to assume that, being a user of 10.5.7, Apple will allow me to upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) for just $29?

The attached is a screenshot of the Snow Leopard link on Apple's website.

Attached Files:

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

It's almost always better to do a clean install but a lot of time it's fine doing an upgrade. I never had any issues doing upgrades in Macs, which is different from my experiences with Windows.

There's more information about installation options at this link.

On Snow leopard site, they specifically state that during upgrade, if there are applications that shown to be incompatible with SL, it'll be placed in a different folder than the Applications folder.

Removing the "fat" from the files should be similar to the way XSlimmer works by removing the ppc and foreign languages from universal files.

Always remember to back up regardless of what you're doing.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Its totally worth it in my opionion. Upgrades are ok, but i have always ran into issues after doing upgrades. But i clean install, doesn't have other software installed first which tends to screw up the Upgrade. So, i Clean Install is a good idea because of this issue.

Yes you can pull your stuff off a TM backup.

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

Yes, any Leopard user from 10.5.0 to 10.5.x will be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard for just 29$.

Only Tiger users will have to pay the full price.

10. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Nice! That's a lot better than the $129 people were saying a few months back.

11. Arnenys macrumors member

So, how will they know in the store that i really have Leopard?

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's an upgrade disk, it will only work if you already have Leopard installed.

13. Martius macrumors member

And is it (will be) possible to make the clean install with an upgrade disk?

14. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Probably..

I was wondering the same thing, but then I started doing some looking around and started hearing a few people saying (don't quote me though, cause this could be wrong) that the way it works is, when you insert the disk while you currently have Leopard installed, it'll boot into the installation setup and then give you the options to erase and install, or archive install ect.

In other words, yes I believe it will give you the option to clean install, but just make sure that you don't wipe your hard drive clean before inserting the SL install disk.

Again, don't quote me, this is just what I've been hearing thus far.

15. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I don't understand this method with Apple. Same thing happened when I bought a new iMac back when Leopard was released. Shipped with tiger installed, and an upgrade disk in the box. No problem there...pop in upgrade disk, it checks for an install of tiger, allows me to wipe the drive, and install cleanly.

The problem arose when my main HDD died a year later. I could NOT use the upgrade disk to simply install leopard. I HAD to first install tiger, then, wipe again, and install leopard after it verifed that tiger was installed. I'm hoping this does not mean I'm going to have to wipe the drive, install tiger, then leopard, THEN SL. That would really stink.

I don't understand why Apple can't do like a number of other vendors, and allow the installer to simply ask you to put in a copy of whatever software it wants in a DVD drive to verify.

Very frustrating.

16. lukin macrumors regular

1 more question from me:

How will TM work if I backup before the upgrade, do a SL clean install, and then set TM back up to work with the same backup drive? I'll want to restore some files back over, but not all of them. Will it just do a completely new backup then let me go back and bring which ever files I want back over? Or will it try and 'merge'? Thanks

17. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah that would be awesome if you could just insert the leopard disk to verify, but I think the problem with what happened with you on your iMac was that the HDD died. Let's assume for a second that you have SL installed and you just wanna do a general wipe and re-install to clear up BS, I'm sure that by having SL installed currently won't cause problems, it'll allow you to erase install no problem.

It is a bummer if you do have hard drive probs, but hey, for $29 I'm not gonna complain.