Leopard Tricks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by radiantm3, Oct 26, 2007.

1. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Anyone find any useful (or cool) undocumented tricks in leopard? Post them!

Here's my first neat little find (although not really surprising). Remember the dictionary trick that works in all cocoa apps? (ctrl-cmd-D on a word) Well now that the japanese-> english dictionary is built in, Head to a japanese site (http://yahoo.co.jp for example), and try it out on some japanese words! Pretty useful if you occasionally wade through japanese sites. Imagine how useful it will be if Apple adds translation dictionaries for more languages.

(note: make sure you have the japanese-english dictionary turned on in the first place)

2. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Apple DOES listen to its customers and I'm sure we'll see many improvements through incremental Leopard updates. In the meantime, there's always the Mac OS X feedback form. ;)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html/

Oh YEAH... and I think I found out a cool Spaces feature. Drag a window to the edge of the screen, and it shifts over to the adajecent space! WOW. How cool is that! :D

As for the dock... the easiest way to switch between 2D and 3D is to run a simple automator script. I keep these in my downloads stack. (Picture and download below)

Attached Files:

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm using the feedback pages a lot at the moment, also see two posts up from yours;)

4. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Ahhh right... HAHA!! Can't believe I overlooked that. I must be blinded. :cool:

But Spaces is really useful. I'd like to see them improve the functionality further.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Even better would be to put it in your finder contextual menu... right click anywhere on the desktop to switch between the two docks. At least that way you don't have to clutter your dock with it.

6. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Not necessarily a "trick" but...

OMG! The Tile Game widget now features a Leopard instead of a Tiger! :eek::eek::eek:

Feast your eyes on this:

Attached Files:

7. txchik072002 macrumors newbie

Pop Up File Specs

Kind of pointless but cool...
    Not sure how useful this is, or even why they added it....but if your in Finder and you want to see how large a file or application is (instead of pushing command- i) , highlight it then press command-y. A shaded window will pop up with a few specs. there is even a more pointless 'Full screen' view! :p
    I discovered it when i meant to hit "i" but hit "y" instead.
    maybe it has a good use that im just not aware of...

Screenshots Below-

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Peck02 macrumors newbie