Leopard up-to-date- process

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nyfinest32, Oct 16, 2007.

1. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

hey guys,

just bought my first mac yesterday and im loving it so far.

i tried to sign up on the up-to-date page for leopard and its saying my serial # cannot be found. i then spoke to someone thro live chat on the apple site and she told me everyones serial is comming up not found because we cant sign up until the 26th which i know is bs. so i called apple instead and the guy confirmed that we can sign up now but my serial # is still comming up invaild and he told me it might be due to the site being flooded and told me to try again 2morrow but this doesnt seem right. anyone have any ideas? :confused::confused:

2. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

Maybe he was right and waiting til tomorrow does the trick :) Just a crazy idea I know..

3. nyfinest32 thread starter macrumors regular

i hope that will work. :( i just dont understand why the guy couldnt just sign me up over the phone :confused:

4. Maxime macrumors regular

Where is that up-to-date page your talking about?

I didnt find it on the Canadian website?!

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Maybe

Could it be because you only just got it yesterday and the servers have not spoken to each other yet... try again tomorrow.:apple:

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I agree, When I got mine a few weeks ago, and used Apple
    Care, they said it took a few days for them to get the computer registered. Mine went through yesterday without a hitch. Try again today and see what happens.

7. Nonentity macrumors member

Has your order been dispatched? I ordered my iMac on the 7th and i'm sure i did not recieve my Serial number until it was dispatched (on the 11th) my iMac's serial number was on the bottom of my invoice (again i couldnt look at my invoice untill it was dispatched) in short, Wait it out a lil longer.

EDIT: My mistake i thought you had ordered online...

8. nyfinest32 thread starter macrumors regular

still nothing 2day:( oh well longer wait now lol

9. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Is the up-to-date version of Leopard a retail version of Leopard? Like same DVD and all?

Just curious.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It has been said that you need to have an OSX install to begin with...unfortunately this means I will have to install Tiger onto my external before I can install Leopard...

11. nyfinest32 thread starter macrumors regular

12. AlMac24 macrumors newbie

Mine's confirmed

I too couldn't register online, so sent my proof of purchase in snail-mail to Ireland. You first log your 'claim' online and they give you a reference No. Then you then place an order online using a code generated and supplying c/card No.

Yesterday I got an email acknowledging they had received the paperwork and it should be with me on Monday!

Ok, so registering online would be easier, but it didn't kill me!

13. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Is you new Mac a refurb??? From what I have read they are not eligible for up-to-date

14. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

It is the same disc as the retail version, you boot straight from the disc if you'd like and install. No need for Tiger

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They are if the refurb was purchased after Oct 1.

16. nyfinest32 thread starter macrumors regular

brand new

17. recordsmith macrumors newbie

Ok,

Just came from the Apple store. I am trying to figure out whether to buy a Mac mini now or wait till Friday. I am told that the "Upgrade" is a retail version. But my two questions are as follows, will it be a computer specific disc, like a restore disc for the mac, or really the retail version. And second, I was told that if I buy on Friday after 6pm that the discs "will be in the box" Does this mean the "retail" Upgrade or again a restore disc. Any ideas would be great.

18. nyfinest32 thread starter macrumors regular

i sent in the app by fax at 3:30, anyone know about how long it takes to get some kinda response back by email or something?

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I've seen conflicting info on whether the up to date disc will be full retail, or an upgrade that requires a previous OS installation, but I'm very sure that the disc will not be computer specific like the system restore discs. That is too much work for Apple to deal with. When they make system restore discs for new computers they know that they are going to produce x many iMacs, so they make x many restore discs. They really have no idea how many people will be using the up-to-date and what computers they have so it doesn't make sense to have so many versions. They may end up with a million mini up-to-dates left over and be a million short on imacs.

20. recordsmith macrumors newbie

This is a really good point, now I just have to hope it isn't a "windows like" upgrade. man i hated that. Thanks for the insight.

21. je1ani macrumors 6502

I put in my order already on the site.. does this mean I can't pick it up in store? I will have to wait a week? I don't mind either way =)