Leopard Up-To-Date Program Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cptpower, Oct 16, 2007.

1. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

So, the idea behind the whole Up-To-Date program is simple enough; buy a Mac after Oct. 1st, and if it doesn't have Leopard installed on it, then you can buy the upgrade for S&H basically.

My question is do you all think that the discs that get shipped out be upgrade media, or will it be a full-blown copy of the OS?

The reason I ask is because, with a new OS (as I've often done in the past), I prefer to 'start fresh'. In other words, when I install a new OS (be it Windows, Linux, Solaris), I prefer to install onto a formatted HDD instead of upgrade an existing installation. Will that be possible to do with the media that is sent out with this program, or will I have to install Tiger first, and then install Leopard on top of that? How did this work with the 10.3 to 10.4 upgrades?

Also, do you think the same 'upgrade' media be shipped out with Macs purchased after the 26th?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I of course don't know about Leopard, but at least in the distant past (Jaguar, I think) the up-to-date copies were "upgrade-only." That said, as long as there was an older copy of the OS installed on the drive you could still do a format-and-install for a 100% clean copy, it just needed to see a preinstalled copy before it would let you do that.

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

This is a question I need answered, as I always do full clear and install.

I guess having the original install is ok as I only do it once :D

<3 OS X in that respect.

Windows needs reinstalling every so often :rolleyes:

4. projectle macrumors 6502

The disc that you are sent is just as the restore disc that you are given with your computer.

It allows you to upgrade, perform a clean install or an Archive+Install.

You do not need to go in and install your old edition and then upgrade like Microsoft forces you to do.

5. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

^^^ Correct answer :)

6. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

YAY!

SO it will have 10.5 on it, but WONT have iLife on it and I'd have to use the 10.4 disks to install iLife?

Edit: looking at my 10.2 restore disks for my PM G4, the system and software are different CDs.

Looks like im all set for 10.5 + MBP, hope it arrives before the 26th lol

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Are you sure? Because with Panther, Apple sent out specially labeled upgrade discs that required an operating system already installed on your hard drive. To this day, even the iLife 08 up-to-date discs were upgrade discs that required iLife 06 to be installed.

8. cptpower thread starter macrumors regular

cptpower

I just heard back from an Apple rep regarding this.

Apple does not issue upgrades, so the disc included with your Mac purchased after the 26th will be a full version of 10.5. I would imagine the same thing applies for the up-to-date program.

So it looks like ordering now and spending the extra few $$ on the up-to-date shipping or waiting til the 26th before ordering will get you the exact same thing in the end.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry I'm getting a tad confused.

Am I correct in thinking that the leopard disk I have ordered from Apple will allow me to do an "Erase and install" Giving me a nice new clean computer with Leopard on it .... :)

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Just called the Apple Store, and was told that these are in fact upgrade discs, not full retail copies. They will ship via USPS (not FedEx), will not include retail packaging and require Mac OS X already installed to work. You will be able to perform an erase and install, as long as another version of OS X is already installed.

They will begin shipping on Oct. 26. So, no chance of a delivery on release day.

11. cptpower thread starter macrumors regular

cptpower

That is my understanding, yes.

Personally, I'll be waiting to order on the 26th so that they just drop the disc into the box on its way out the door (don't want to spend the extra few $$; what can I say.. I'm cheap! :)), but either way will allow you to do an "Erase & Install".

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Cheers, I feel better now .. :)

Thanks cptpower as well ..:)

13. cptpower thread starter macrumors regular

cptpower

argh; nothing like getting two different answers to the same question from a company, eh?

Maybe the difference is that the up-to-date program is giving out upgrade discs, but if you order after the 26th, since Leopard may not be pre-installed on all machines by that point yet, the disc they drop in is the full retail version?

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Does that mean to install on my external, I first have to install Tiger on it, then Leopard...that sucks...

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

That's incorrect. Apple does not SELL upgrades. I'm sitting here staring at a set of Jaguar, Panther and iLife 05 discs marked UPGRADE, NOT FOR RESELL.

Let's hope, but I doubt it. When I purchased my original Mac mini it had a drop-in iLife upgrade disc. Not, the full retail copy.

I guess so. I'll have to make myself a note on the discs to install 10.4 first. That's just another step. I'm glad I don't have to reinstall the O/S very often.

16. cptpower thread starter macrumors regular

cptpower

Maybe (hopefully) they've changed things for Leopard?

Either way, I was really hoping that the extra step there wouldn't be required.

17. joebells macrumors 6502

I started this post to say that I thought it was wierd that they would even make upgrade disks as every mac sold has osx installed on them(microsoft I can understand as you can build your own) but I guess the install makes sure that it is tiger that is installed? So you can't use it if you have a previous version at least preventing a bit of pirating?

Otherwise if it doesn't check for tiger just osx period then I think that is really wierd. Maybe it also checks for hardware id and only installs to machines that would have been sold after that date like possibly the previous generation imac and the new imac of course and so on.

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well, I just completed the "Chat with an Expert" from the Apple Store online. Their reps (I chatted three times) say it will be a full retail version. However, the rep I talked to at the Apple Store was a Tier 2 Rep. (the first rep didn't know and transferred me), and contradicts their answers.

So, I guess it's anybody's guess.

Here's an excerpt:
    "
    You are chatting with Sheldon, an Apple Expert
    Hi, my name is Sheldon. Welcome to Apple!
    Thanks, Sheldon. I qualify for the Leopard Up-to-Date program, and I have went ahead and filled out all the necessary information and submitted my order.
    My question is will the disc I receive be a full retail disc, that will not require another version of Mac OS X to be installed? Or will it be an upgrade disc similar to the iLife 08 Up-to-Date program, which required a previous version of iLife to be installed?
    To answer that question.......
    You'll receive the Leopard full discs to install into your Mac
    OK. Thanks so much. You have a great day.
    You too
    Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business."

19. theman macrumors 6502a

i just did the chat and got the exact same response...

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If you notice closely in the Leopard guided tour video, the presenter uses a Leopard installation DVD that is marked "Not for resale." This is during the part where he mentions how easy it was to upgrade.

21. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

hey

how do you get an apple store chat? i cant figuire it out?

22. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

I doubt they will but these UTD discs should really include iLife '08 because every single eligible machine would have iLife '08 installed. Without iLife '08 on the disc, we would be forced to do one of the folllowing..

• Upgrade our existing Tiger with iLife '08
    • Install Fresh without iLife '08
    • Download a copy of iLife '08 from elsewhere... (I Assume Apple couldnt really have a problem with this)

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

• Install iLife from the Restore DVD by clicking "Install Bundled Software Only"

:)

24. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

really? from the tiger disc? if that works, thats cool.

25. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

it only works that way

with the disks that came with the mac..

tiger disks from apple store wont work that way!