Leopard Up-To-Date Ugrade DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adskin80, Oct 29, 2007.

1. adskin80 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I ordered Leopard through the up-to-date program. It arrived this morning and I installed it about an hour ago. so far so good, although it takes a lot longer to boot up.

Anyway, I would just like to now. If at sometime in the future I would like to do a clean install, is it possible just to use the Leopard DVD, or would I have to install Tiger then upgrade to Leopard?

Thanks

2. enklined macrumors 6502

I'd like to know the answer to this, too. Anyone know?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just wait.

Leopard does take awhile to boot up the first few times, it mentioned something about building the boot cache.

Right now it is taking my machine about a second longer to boot into Leopard.

4. Ctrl2k macrumors member

I got the disk today too. I don't need it, as I am an ADC member and I already got the GM download and the full disc is coming as well, but I booted it up anyway to take a look.

The disc definitely does an upgrade check, but the text does say something like "checking for an installation of MAC OS X 10.4 or higher"

"Or higher", is the key, as I already have Leopard installed on my machine. When I continued on, and tried to install Leopard on another disk I had hooked up, it was going to let me do an erase & install. So clearly the disk is good for reinstalls as long as you have 10.4 or later (including 10.5) installed on one of your attached disks.

I don't know what it will do if you have just a blank disk with nothing on it. I would suppose the disk wouldn't let you install.

5. Locker macrumors 6502

I asked this question to someone via Apple Online Chat and the answer I was given was that it's actually the same DVD as the retail version and so an Erase & Install would be no problem.

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

That's not entirely true. You can do an Erase & Install, but the DVD is most certainly not the same as the retail disc. We need a sticky for this information methinks (if there isn't one already) :)