Leopard Upgade Qs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Architect4122, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

When Leopard comes out I'll probably purchase it within the week and load it up. I have alot of faith in Apple (one of the reasons I came over to the Mac side). While I know there will be a few issues (they can't account for the millions of set ups people have running or what they have done to their macs) I think over all, it should be a smooth transition. So a few questions.

My MBP is a little over a month old. I have bootcamp installed for a few CAD and model rendering applications, and I have SketchUp, Office 2004, and CS3 on the OSX side.

What would I bnefit from more, doing a fresh install with Leopard, or upgrading it from where I am now?

Is there a performance difference?

Is the official Bootcamp going to need to be installed again?

[insert concern/question that belongs here but I forgot to ask...issues or experiences when upgrading to Tiger.]

Thank you!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

some people including me like to have a fresh start with a new OS and do an erase and install. this makes sure there is no extra files left over from tiger that leopard does not use. it also allows you to do a few maentenance tasks if you know how to do them. it may also provide a performance boost but im not that sure.
    if you do an erase and install boot camp will not be erased as its on another partition. partitions are basically like extra hard drives but on the same disk.. make sense? when you perform an erase and isntall you will choose the partition that tiger is installed on "Macintosh HD" or watever yours is called. vista/xp on your boot camp partition will not be erased.

3. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I'm also doing a fresh install, but I'm confident that a simple upgrade wouldn't slow anything down. I did an upgrade from 10.2 to 10.4 once, and it only made the Mac faster.

I'm just doing a fresh install to prune my computer of some of the crap I've downloaded to it.